Chrysler Repair/2001 sebring convertible: water in trunk

Question
Hi my car does not see much bad weather but it has water collecting somewhere. It smells bad. Mold. Under the back seat? There was some in the trunk so I cleaned that but now after the car wash I have the mold smell coming from the back again. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Christine,
I believe there are drain pathways, one or possibly two on each side of the trunk. I suspect these are clogged which is why there is a build-up of water. The first thing to look for is on the underside of the body (while lying on the ground), looking along the body seam where the fender joins the underside metal, to see whether you can find a hole or two. Then insert a stiff metal wire into the hole which is long enough to rise up into the trunk and thus clear the drain pathway of debris.
The pathway openings may be found from inside the trunk on both sides but would be harder to find.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston