Chrysler Repair/Do not know if it is the starter or ignition switch

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring limited jxi convertible 2.7L v6 DOHC . I had replace the battery and alternator and the alternator belt . I do not have anything to test the fuses or the starter and stater relay fuse . When I get into the car sometimes it start right away and other times you have to hold the key for a while before it start  . The time is different all the times . It does start sometimes barely having to turn the key . Is this a starter getting reading to go out or the ignition switch ?

The starter motor relay, located in the power box under the hood, will tell you:
Have the hood and box open, then have a helper try to start it. Listen (or touch) the relay (which is the middle relay of 3 in the front of the box) to find out if the relay clicks immediately after the helper tries the key. If so, then the starter motor should also click and turnover the engine immediately. If the relay doesn't click, then the circuit between the ignition key and the relay is at fault which could be either the ignition switch or the Park/Neutral safety switch might be slightly off center.
If the relay does click immediately, but the starter motor doesn't click loudly and turn over the engine, then the starter motor is at fault. That would be the first test to do.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).