Chrysler Repair/PT Cruiser Power brake servo/vacuum hose

Question
QUESTION: I went for a drive the other day and brakes worked fine when I pulled into the yard. When I went to park the car in it's spot for the evening, I backed it in and there were no brakes. The brake fluid is up, the brake pedal is firm, but when I start the car and it proceeds to move forward, I step on the brake and there is no response when I try to stop the vehicle, ..Could you please reply to my question as to where do I start to troubleshoot this problem?? Thanking you in advance for your input!!

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
It sounds to me as if power brake booster has lost its vacuum line connection so is not giving you the power brake function you expect. The booster is mounted below brake fluid reservoir and you should find a vacuum hose that connects to it and the other end goes to the cruise control unit. So check the vacuum hose connections at all ends of the hoses to see if one has gotten loose or disconnected. There is also a hose to the intake manifold from the cruise control unit so check that as well.
There is a more involved set of diagnostics I can share with you if you don't find a vacuum leak.
Roland

QUESTION: I found the booster and the hose to it is off, where is the cruise control unit located so I can see if I can find the hose?? And again thank you?

Answer
Hi Robert,
That cruise control servo is located at the right (passenger) side rear corner of the engine compartment.
If you don't see it, you may need to remove the engine intake air cover and the air hose itself which may conceal it from view. There are probably 2 vacuum hoses connected to cruise servo, one goes to the power brake unit and one to the intake manifold.
Thanks for the rating/nomination.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston