Chrysler Repair/Rad fan not working

Question
Hi Roland,

I own a 2002 Ford Taurus.  The rad fan has never come on since I bought it 4 years ago but it doesn't overheat.  I was wondering why the rad fan wasn't working, so I alligator-clipped the battery to the male terminals of the rad fan and I got massive sparks and it started to get hot and I could smell burning.  

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

SK in Canada

Answer
Hi SK3K,
Are you sure that you alligator clipped the + post of the battery to + lead of the radiator fan (the wire on that post should be any color other than black which would be the - post)?
Assuming that is the case, then it would suggest that the radiator fan motor is bad and in addition that it probably blew the fuse which supplies the power to it via the radiator fan relay. So you would need to replace the fan motor and check out the fuse as well.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston