Chrysler Repair/Rims as jack stands

Hi Roland,

Another questions for you.  

I would like to work under my car, but I need at least 21 inches height, which incidentally is equal to 3 rims stacked on top of each other.  Is this safe or would they slip?  I don't see the problem, because it has a much bigger footprint than a jack stand (which I do trust for side to side movement, but not back and forth).

sk3k in Ottawa

Hi Sk,
I have not considered this idea but am concerned that the rims could slide off one another.
I have always used  2 jack stands along with the single scissors jack that came with the vehicle, and also you would block the remaining tires on the ground, or be sure that the parking brake is applied to the rear wheels if they are on the ground. The jack stands have a triangular foot-print so should be equally stable side to side as compared to front to back if the wheels on the ground are firmly secured.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).