Churches Of Christ/Biblical Holidays

Question
Do you oppose celebrating the biblical holidays? If you do can you please give scripture reference to why?

Answer
Hi Joy,

I am not real sure I understand your questions but I will do my best to answer. When you ask if I oppose biblical holidays I personally do not oppose any holidays and the only holidays that are "biblical" are those of the Old Covenant such as Passover. Also I should remind you that there is no book of creeds or doctrines for the churches of Christ so we do not have an official position as a church on anything. We are all independent and autonomous local congregations. I am sure there are individuals who might be opposed to biblical holidays as well as any current holidays that the world sees as "Christian". But I am not opposed to any holidays and can only speak for myself. If you would like to understand what the Bible has to say about holidays I can help you with that but we each can have our own opinions on certain things such as holidays.

Rom.14:5-8
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
Rom 14:6  He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Rom 14:7  For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
Rom 14:8  For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

I advise you read the entire chapter of Romans 14 but according to Paul it is up to each individual as to whether or not they esteem one day over another but they need to be careful they are not causing a brother or sister in Christ to stumble too. But I want to point out that there are no "Christian" holidays that are biblical. I hope my answer has been acceptable. If you have further questions please let me know.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman