Churches Of Christ/seek ye first

The Bible says seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.  The meaning of this scripture if you will share it with me, please??  I am a member of the Church of Christ and I want to make sure I am following Christ in every way I can.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting to your question. Let's look at what leads up to the verse in question.

Matthew 6:25-33 (25) “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?  27 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,  29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.  30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!  31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ 32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

The unfortunate thing is that many to most people see this scripture as being fulfilled in the here and now rather than in eternity. Then they doubt or even lose their faith.

But many suffer and die and go through incredible struggles while less worthy people seem to have the gold paved roads to travel. What we need to know is that this scripture is ALWAYS fulfilled in eternity for those children of God who stay loyal to the end. The things that will be added are those things that we get sidetracked and off the road to the kingdom for as we get distracted by our immediate need for wanting them now.

Food, clothing and the basics are those things that MOST of us have. But a Christian in places like Haiti and India may go from their re-birth to their death with few if ANY of the things that we here in this country and other Western nations take for granted.

To seek first His kingdom and HIS righteousness we have merely to follow His example. He did not come to be served but to serve. He loved us when we were utterly unlovable. He blessed us when we were completely undeserving. He died for those who often don't even turn and give Him a second glance for His trouble.

If we are going to pursue Him and His kingdom it will require that we give Him the greatest sacrifice He can receive from us. That sacrifice is that He wants us to strive to love like He did and stay loyal to Him until the end. ALL we do is a sacrifice of praise to Him to show gratitude and understanding for what He did for us first.

Jesus told us that there is NO greater love than to lie down your life for a friend. Whether it is in one grand gesture of life for life or serving in a way that gives up life one act of love and service at a time THIS is what it takes to pursue His kingdom in the way that He wants.

Churches Of Christ

John Fields

I strive to intelligently and respectfully discuss thoughtful questions pertaining to doctrinal issues within the Churches of Christ and feel I can contribute thoughtful answers in most cases. I feel myself to be especially adept when answering questions regarding the Gospel of Christ and baptism. I always strive to be humble, realizing that there are some issues that are respectfully and honorably debatable. I realize that the Bible is perfect and able to provide any truth that the seeker of truth is after. At the same time I realize that though I am very conscientious about pointing people in the right direction, I am still a fallible human being and certainly capable of making mistakes. I will always give my opinion AS my opinion and strive not to state as fact something which cannot be supported by good logic or a good thorough study through the scriptures.

I am a minister within the Churches of Christ. I have been preaching for 14 years and have been on five separate mission trips to the Volta Region of Ghana, West Africa. I have preached the Gospel to literally thousands of people and it is my passion to do so.

I graduated with honors from Atkins High School in Atkins, AR in 1984. I went on to get my Bible degree at Harding University in Searcy, AR where I graduated Cum Laude.