Churches Of Christ/The 4th Commandment

Dear Mr. Fields

The 4th Commandments states:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Mr.Fields, does that mean I'm not suppose to have any statues of JESUS or pictures of HIM in my home or have a cross around my neck ?

The image of JESUS growing up and as an adult is: JESUS has blonde hair,blue eyes and white skin. Now you and I know I would hope so that JESUS came from the Middle East where people have:
Brown Hair,Eyes and Dark Skin.

So that leave me with no knowing what JESUS really looks like and that's O.K. But I'm I committing a sin(s) due to my having pictures and statues of HIM in my home ?

Thank You
Ray M.

Ray, you pose an interesting question.

Every facet of law and truth communicated has a context. The intent, far as I know, of the commandment in question is so that the people would not set up images or statues so as to engage in idol worship. Idolatry is of course worshiping the created thing and placing it above God.

But in Christ we have been given more freedom than we had under law. We have the ability to take what was originally there and, within reason, claim it for the Lord.

In Romans 14 Paul spoke of people observing special days. For some, they were bothered that others would observe the days. For others they were bothered that they would not. Paul settled it by saying that whatever one did was to be done in faith, according to honest personal conviction. If it was done honestly in faith, in good conscience. It was acceptable.

Colossians 2:13-14 (13)  When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,  14   having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.  

Many things were done away, former holy days, Sabbaths, the priesthood and the sacrifices. In short, the law with its condemnation was nailed to the cross.

So where the letter condemned before, in Christ we have been given the ability to pursue truth in love with our best intentions counted favorably. Note, this does not allow selfishness but the ability to do our best and STILL have it counted perfect in Christ.

So if you have a good reason for wanting such things, or wearing them and if there is some way that you can love and honor God with them, do so. I know of no reason that would keep you from using these things. God bless you.

Churches Of Christ

John Fields

I strive to intelligently and respectfully discuss thoughtful questions pertaining to doctrinal issues within the Churches of Christ and feel I can contribute thoughtful answers in most cases. I feel myself to be especially adept when answering questions regarding the Gospel of Christ and baptism. I always strive to be humble, realizing that there are some issues that are respectfully and honorably debatable. I realize that the Bible is perfect and able to provide any truth that the seeker of truth is after. At the same time I realize that though I am very conscientious about pointing people in the right direction, I am still a fallible human being and certainly capable of making mistakes. I will always give my opinion AS my opinion and strive not to state as fact something which cannot be supported by good logic or a good thorough study through the scriptures.

I am a minister within the Churches of Christ. I have been preaching for 14 years and have been on five separate mission trips to the Volta Region of Ghana, West Africa. I have preached the Gospel to literally thousands of people and it is my passion to do so.

I graduated with honors from Atkins High School in Atkins, AR in 1984. I went on to get my Bible degree at Harding University in Searcy, AR where I graduated Cum Laude.