Churches Of Christ/Songs with Curse Words

Question
Is it ok to listen to songs with curse words as long as you do not use them in your daily life ?

Answer
This is an issue a lot of people struggle with but not merely in the area of songs. Is it okay for me to watch movies and or television with the same kinds of words? Is it okay for me to tolerate bad to get good out of it?

Strictly speaking, I'd have to say that it is FAR better to avoid such things than to allow for them. The scripture is clear on our personal conduct relative to these things.

Ephesians 4:29  Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 5:3-4 (3) But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; 4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.  

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 (21)  But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; 22 abstain from every form of evil.

That having been said, there's little that has potential to spoil the morals more than bad companionship. Though we are warned of the dangers of these bad companions (1 Corinthians 15:33 ) we are also told that we cannot come completely out of the world to avoid worldly people. How could we save others from sin if we never were around them?

I would measure what good you are trying to accomplish by listening, watching, reading etc. If you feel there is something good that can help you or someone else that makes you feel that "enduring" the language or the like to be worth it. Do so. But I suggest proceeding with caution. Anytime we subject ourselves to the things of this world there is always heavy potential for it to rub off on us and cause us harm. For instance, you may start singing along to something bad and find yourself hand and hand with bad things.

So to sum up, my view is to either avoid or redeem. If it is unquestionably vile, stay away from it .... period. But of there is something that can be used for good, attempt to redeem it without getting dirty in the process.

Churches Of Christ

John Fields