Churches Of Christ/Marriaged, Divorce and remarriage

Thanks for your kind words about my book, When Marriages Bomb.
I struggled for years about this question and at long last wrote this book. I have had many favorables responses.
Thanks again. If you need more copies, I will send them to you for the postage only.

Hi brother Layfield,

We even spoke on the phone once. I also struggled for years on this topic. According to most within the church of Christ, my divorce situation does allow me to marry and have a new spouse even according to what was traditionally taught. But I had seen problems with the traditional teachings on MDR since I was in junior high school. I began studying MDR carefully after my divorce. I wanted to really know the truth on this topic. I have been divorced for 9 years now. I haven't even dated anyone but hope to change that in 2014. I have studied MDR and debated it and discussed it for 9 years. I have researched ancient writings even. I have read many articles and debates and books.

The two books that helped me the most were your book and a book called "Divorce and Remarriage In The Early Church" by Pat E. Harrell. If you haven't read his book I highly recommend it. But of course I spent most of my time really studying God's Word. I also got to know a minister for a non-denominational church of Christ named Robert Waters. He has a website with loads of articles and debates on the topic as well. He even has articles that might not be completely in line with his understanding of it but he shared it anyway. His big focus is on the Greek word Apoluo - and he firmly believes this word NEVER means divorce. In my debates online and study and research I found that I no longer could agree with brother Waters regarding this word.

I am pretty much in line with your understanding of MDR. The only thing I differ on is that divorce is never listed as a sin in the Bible. It can be done for sinful reasons and yes in some cases I can see why divorce may be viewed as a sin too. But to me that is a minor difference and I always highly recommend your book. I am also convinced that I Corinthians 7:10,11 is not speaking of divorce. It is speaking of abandonment of a spouse or separation.

I know I am in the minority on that but I firmly believe I am correct and have not been convinced otherwise. Thank you too for the offer to send me more copies for only the cost of postage. If I need more copies to hand out I will let you know. Right now I am only recommending it and telling people how to order their own from you. If someone needs to be given a copy and can't buy it themselves, I will ask for some copies.

God bless you in all you do for God and in seeking to save and protect souls.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks