Churches Of Christ/the hand & baptism

Question
can we correctly infer that a non-Christian can baptize a believer? In other words, can we infer that the hand that baptize is insignificant?

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Who are those that are suppose to go and make disciples? Is this command excluding others who are not disciples from baptizing.

many thanks for your answer.

Azwifarwi

Answer

In Matthew 28:19 Jesus is speaking specifically to the apostles but this is what we call "the great commission" because it is actually what every Christian should strive to do...teach the gospel and make disciples baptizing them in the name of the father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. There isn't anything in that verse to help us infer whether or not a non-Christian can baptize a believer, but obviously even the apostles had not received the baptism into Jesus Christ that saves a person eternally until the day of Pentecost in 33 A.D. They more than likely baptized each other and I guarantee 11 or 12 apostles couldn't possibly have baptized over 3000 people all by themselves. That would have taken many many hours. I think it's safe to say they were overseeing everything to make sure it was done right but there were other people helping to baptize everyone. It is not important who does the baptizing.

Now that we have the word of God complete, the church can be established anywhere by people who study God's Word and learn the truth as to how to become a Christian, how to worship, how to organize the church, etc.

To see that it is not important who does the baptizing I would ask you to look at the words of Paul.

1 Cor.1:12-18
12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. 16 Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect. 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I would recommend studying the first 3 chapters of 1 Corinthians especially. But it's clear that the person who is doing the baptizing is not important. I do hope that I have helped you.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman