Churches Of Christ/Necromancy

Question
QUESTION: When Jesus was on earth he castes out evil spirits from people. Can people today cast evil spirits on others, especially Christians.

ANSWER: Orville, Jesus has entered the strong man's house and tied up the strong man. He has plundered the strong man and liberated those the strong man had bound and headed for Hell. His power is real and righteous. His power is unleashed to liberate us. Jesus has destroyed the power of Satan. Men today are led by the spirit they choose to obey. James said, James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. NOTICE: man is tempted by his OWN lust, not Satan. And he (man) is the cause of his own death, not Satan. We have the power today to choose who we will serve. We can obey God and live. Or we can die and be punished along with Satan. But our destiny is our own choosing.
Augustine of Hippo said that our lives have a God-shaped void which only God can fill satisfactory. If we attempt to leave it vacant or to fill it with something else, we will be worse in the end.
Jesus makes it clear that there are no neutral parties. We are either for Jesus or against him, for the kingdom of God or against it. There are two kingdoms in opposition to one another the kingdom of God and the kingdom of darkness under the rule of Satan. If we  disobey God's word, we open to door to the power of sin and Satan. If we want to live in freedom from sin and Satan, then our house must be occupied by Jesus where he is enthroned as Lord and Savior.  
The Bible says 2 Thessalonians 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
So two groups of people will be destroyed 1) Those who know not God. 2) and those who do not obey Christ. Evil exist today. It lives in the hearts and minds of evil men who refuse to obey Christ.

In the book of Acts we read, "Repent you therefore, and be converted that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord" (Acts 3:19).

The change in a person's life resulting in his becoming a Christian is called in the Bible, conversion, and the Bible teaches that conversion is necessary for a person to be saved. Christ likened this change to a birth and taught Nicodemus, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). Of the 27 books comprising the New Testament, there is one book which is particularly helpful in understanding the nature of conversion. This book is Acts of the Apostles which tells of the conversions of many different people. In Chapters 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 18, and 22 are 8 key examples of conversion and from these examples certain universal principles of conversion can be understood.

First, conversion is dependent upon the acceptance of the Word of God by the sinner. Jesus said, "The seed is the Word", and conversions mentioned in the book of Acts bear out the necessity of both the presentation of God's word to the sinner and his acceptance of it. (Rom. 1: 16) The presentation can be either public or private; through words either spoken or written, but their acceptance always results in belief that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. (Rom. 10: 17) We also read, "They believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God" (Acts 8: 12), and in Acts 18: 8, "And many of the Corinthians hearing, believed and were baptized".

Second, faith in Jesus Christ, produced by the testimony of the Word of God leads to a change in a sinner's attitude toward his own transgressions. With faith comes an understanding of God's love to man. This, in turn, leads the sinner to determine to turn away from sin, for we read, "Or despiseth thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and long-suffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" (Rom. 2: 4). An example of this part of conversion is found in Acts 2 in response to Peter's preaching of Christ. The Bible says, "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in the heart and said unto Peter, 'Men and brethren what shall we do?' Then Peter said unto them, repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2: 36-38).

Third, this change in a person's heart must lead to certain actions before conversion is complete. One of these actions is confession that Jesus is the Christ, for we read, "With the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (Rom. 10: 9,10).

Finally, a person must be baptized in the likeness of Christ's death and burial (Rom. 6: 4) in order for God to forgive him of past sins. The Bible says, "Arise and be baptized and wash away thy sins calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22: 16). And we also remember in a scripture we read only a moment ago that in Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost, he said that both repentance and baptism are necessary in order to receive the remission of sins. (Acts 2: 38) Later Peter echoed this same thought again when he said that "baptism doth also now save us" (I Peter 3: 21).

When a person believes in Christ, repents of sin, confesses Christ and is baptized into Christ for the remission of sins, he is converted. Only then has he been born of water and of the Spirit as referred to in John 3: 3-5. Then the Lord adds him to the body, the Church, the Kingdom of God (Acts 2: 47).

If you have not obeyed these commands of the gospel, you are encouraged to do so today, and if you would like to discuss the subject more fully, please feel free to E-mail me. I will be glad to assist you in studying this vital subject more fully.

QUESTION: yOU INDICATED THAT in not obeying Christ we open the door to sin and satan. Are there people who have the ability through the power of satan to allow evil spirits to enter you? If this is done how can one eliminate same from within him? Do persons have the gift to detect evil in you and cast them out?

Answer
If you do not obey Christ you will be destroyed. It will not matter if you have a demon because you are just as evil as a demon yourself until you obey Christ. All people have Satan in their life until they are baptized. And until you obey God you and Satan are father and son. The only way you can avoid having Satan as your father is to have God as your father. The only power we have to cast out demons is to preach Christ. And when a person obeys Christ and are baptized for remission of their sins they will be added to the household of God. And they move from being a child of Satan to being a child of God. If you obey Christ and be baptized for your sins you will have no need to worry about demons.
Dale

Churches Of Christ

Dale Ferguson