Churches Of Christ/Baptism by a woman

Question
I have been a member of the Lord's church for 30+ years. My boyfriend who is not a Christian yet, but is considering it asked if I could baptize him if he decides to. I don't find anything in the scriptures that prevents it other than that a woman is not to usurp the authority of the man.
He doesn't want to be baptized in front of the whole congregation and feels that since I have been the one studying with him that I should be the one doing the baptism. Can you share your thoughts on what the Bible has to say in the matter? I don't want to do anything against God's Word.

Answer
Hi Pam,

I appreciate you asking me your question and the fact that you did ask shows a real humble heart seeking to please God in all things. You are correct that there is nothing in the Bible that would prevent you from baptizing your boyfriend. The only thing I could even point to is the passage which says a woman is not to usurp the authority of a man. This we know is the way it should be both in the Christian home and in the Lord's church. Normally I would have a large amount of scriptures when providing an answer to someone but there just are not any I can direct you to that cover this specific situation. I will say it would make me more comfortable if a man were to baptize your boyfriend but that doesn't mean it would be wrong for you to baptize him. You have been the one studying with him and teaching him the Truth of God's Word. I don't think it was wrong for you to do that and I can't say it is wrong if you baptize him. I do believe that you should let him lead your marriage if and when you decide to marry and it might be good for him to find a good Christian man within the local church he can develop a friendship with and can learn and grow spiritually from. I will be praying for both of you and for his new life as a Christian once he is baptized.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman