Churches Of Christ/The day we stand before God.

You always have to best answers Mr. Shifferd. I could sit here and talk with you all day because the information you give awesome. Thanks as always.  Do you believe on Judgment day Jesus will have mercy and compassion on Christians or do you think he will be very stern and strict?  Do you believe that even for Christians Jesus will be very hard and stern when he judges us or more merciful and gentle? In other words do you think on Judgment day Jesus will look at a lot of Christians and say I never knew you, you did not live for me but for yourselves. You did not give for righteousness but practiced sin and worldly pleasure. Your whole life was not spent for me but you were lazy and worldly.     Or do you think Jesus will say, you believed in me and were baptized so welcome to heaven?   Thanks

Hi Josh,

"Do you believe on Judgment day Jesus will have mercy and compassion on Christians or do you think he will be very stern and strict?"

We will stand holy, blameless, and without reproach before God "if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard" (Col. 1:21-23). What is the Gospel to which we must hold? The death, burial, and resurrection of Christ is the Gospel by which believers are saved having themselves died, been buried, and raised with Christ living in the newness of life (1 Cor. 15:1-4, Col. 2:12-13, Eph. 2:4-6). Therefore, if we continue in the faith, then as Jesus said, "Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:'" (Matt. 25:34). That appears to be gentle and compassionate.

There will be many, who believe themselves to be Christians, that Jesus will say I never new you. Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'" (Matt. 7:21-23). See, one cannot practice lawlessness and be saved.

One cannot be baptized and then live in sin. Romans 6 specifically addresses this that those, who have been baptized must not be slaves of sin but unto righteousness. Anyone who practices sin will be not inherit the kingdom of God (Gal. 5:21, cf. Rom. 1:32). These in Galatians had fallen from grace (Gal. 5:4).

"Whoever commits [practices] sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. [...] In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother." (1 John 3:4-7, 10).

God bless you brother. Thank you for the great question.

I am going to have to resign from answering questions at AllExperts of my own decision, because I have not responded quickly. It has become too time pressing, but I will continue any discussion at

Churches Of Christ

Scott Shifferd

My education and experience allows me to answer most questions related to the Bible by giving scripture and other supporting sources usually without giving the standard response. I prefer to allow the inerrant scriptures to interpret themselves, and I encourage you to take the scriptural understanding of scripture over any of my interpretations. I am very capable of addressing matters in the Greek New Testament.

Over 10 years in the ministry teaching and preaching Minister at the Dean Road church of Christ in Jacksonville, FL

The Church of Christ

Seeing God's Breath (

BA in Biblical Studies from Faulkner University Fifteen college hours in Koine Greek More than 15 hours in History

Bible Award from Faulkner University in 2004

Christians and Unbelievers