Churches Of Christ/Sunday worship instead of Saturday

I am not very Educated with bible matters but I am trying to learn. I recently read a pamphlet talking about the National Sunday Law by A. Jan Marcussen. It seems to be very adamant that we are breaking Gods law by worshiping on Sunday instead of Saturday . Could you please explain to me which is correct? I'm having trouble taking in all this pamplet is saying.          Thank You Michael Mayberry.

There are three major points to consider in response to this premise.

The first is that Sunday was not a day of worship for the Israelites, it was a day of rest (Exo. 20:8-11).

The second is that it was a day of rest for the Israelites/Jews.  Are you or I Jews?  The New Testament teaches that under the law of Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile.

The final point to make is that we are no longer under the authority of the Old Testament.  It is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ (Gal. 3:24-25) and there for our learning (Romans 15:4) but it's authority and the system it created has vanished away (Heb. 8:13).  In fact, much of the New Testament is written to explain this very point, to show how the New Testament is better than the Old.  It is certainly the point of the book of Hebrews and Revelation.

In Galatians 5, Paul addresses those who would demand Christians be justified by the law of Moses (which would include the law of sabbath keeping).  He says to seek to justify yourself by the law [of Moses] is to fall from grace (which is the law of Christ, the New Testament).

In James 2:10 says that if one keeps the whole law but transgresses in one point he is guilty of the whole law.  Ask those who would demand a sabbath day of worship (especially for Gentiles) if they are still sacrificing sheep, wheat, wine, and other things at the Temple in Jerusalem.  Ask them if they still stone disobedient children or kick the women out of the city during their period.

The Bible is clear through command and example that the Christians met each Sunday to partake of the Lord's Supper (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1-2) for this was the day that Jesus was resurrected on, this was the day victory over death was declared.

The last day of the week was a commanded day of rest under Moses.  We who are under Christ worship on the first day of the week to remember the death, burial, and resurrection of our King and Savior.

Churches Of Christ

Ernie Laurence, Jr.

I am capable of answering any questions concerning doctrines of the church of Christ. I specialize in Creation vs. Evolution topics, the book of Revelation and other Biblical prophecies, and other apologetics related topics such as distinctions from denominational doctrines.

My experience in this area includes: having been raised by members of the church of Christ from infancy, having been immersed into the church of Christ at age ten, having taken an active role in worship/service leadership (song leading, teaching, preaching, youth ministry) since age fourteen through the present, and participating in numerous formal debates, research projects, and online discussions.

The church of Christ

Local congregations.

I hold a bachelor's degree in computer information systems (CIS) from Tarleton State University which focuses on business communication and management. This provided training for how to deal professionally with individuals and organizations if not direct training in the field of religion. See experience section for informal education experience.