Churches Of Christ/Lord's supper

are there any requirements to give a member the Lord's Supper when they are ill or in the hospital dying. I know the lord supper has to be given by a man that is  a member of the church of Christ. Also, I know that the ill person has to also be a member.  Thank you for your help.

Hello Mary, I am not sure I understand your question. But I will try and give you an answer as I understand what you trying to ask. The way I understand the Bible to teach is that The Lord's Supper is to be taken by Christians in the assembly on The Lord's Day. I don't read in the Bible that the Lord's Supper was taken outside of the Christian assembly. ie I never read that the Saints took the Supper to anyone in their death bed or sick beds. I am not sure any example was given to take the Lord's Supper in a place other than the assembly. ie when we come together to worship God and remember Jesus Christ by breaking The Loaf. "when the disciples came together to break bread,"

Acts 20
6 And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

and here:

1 Cor.10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

Mary consider the following passages from 1 Cor. 11, you will see that Paul was condemning the disciples for taking the Lord's Supper in a way that was not appropriate. Paul said very plainly that we are to take the Lord's Supper "When ye come together therefore into one place" Notice Paul said "ONE" place. Where is that "ONE" place? I say that "one" place is in the assembly on the first day of the week during worship. Not that the assembly is a building. But the assembly is the Christian body, the church of Christ. So in my humble opinion the Loaf and the Wine is to be taken only in the worship service on the first day, when we come together in "one place" And I also say that the Lord's Supper is only for those who have obeyed and are in faithful standing in the congregation. If I have misunderstood your question I am sorry, please help me know more about what you have on your mind.

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

God Bless

Churches Of Christ

Dale Ferguson

I will answer any questions about MDR, church history, approved worship, church organization, baptism or any other Bible question relating to Christian living or worship.

I have studied these Bible subjects with many other men in the pulpits and with long hours of personal study. Most of the men I studied with are of the older schools of preachers. And my answers tend more to be from Bible scripture rather than Bible schools.

I do not belong to any earthly organizations. I am a member of the Body of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I am a Christian only.

As everyone, I believe the truth is to be found in the Bible and not in a man made institution. A mans ability to teach the God's truth does not belong exclusively to man's institutions of higher learning.