Churches Of Christ/Salvation in old testament.

Now in the new testament we are getting remission of sins through the blood of Jesus.

How about it in the old testament times.

How about people like Moses, Abraham, Noah etc.

How are they justified without Jesus?

ANSWER: Sorry it took so long to get to this question.  I've been out of town for Thanksgiving and had limited internet access.

The people like Moses, Abraham, Noah, etc. were saved by the blood of Jesus the same as everyone else.  Their's was a hope looking forward to the cross, their faithfulness was said to be "imputed" to them as righteousness.  That word "imputed" is an accounting term that says that they were considered righteous according to the hope of the promise in Genesis 3:15 and later of the hope of the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham.  Their ledger was essentially an IOU until Jesus came and paid those debts in truth.  Matt. 8:11 indicates that when the Kingdom of Christ came, Abraham, Isaac, and the other faithful would be the first added to it, even though they were in Sheol/Hades/Paradise.

QUESTION: Dear Ernie,

Thanks foe replying to my question. I enjoy studying the bible with you and hope it is the same with you.

The answer which you gave is very convincing and I completely agree.

If possible can you quote some other references to have a deep understanding.

In Christ,

Hebrews 11 is the most powerful example of this.  Look at verse 1:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Those listed in the rest of this chapter had faith in God.  They hoped for a coming salvation that was not available to them at the time they were alive, but would come to them in the future.  Hebrews 11:10 shows that Abraham looked for a future citizenship in a city-state built by God.

Romans 4 is another good one to show how those of the OT are saved outside of the law of Moses and by faith looking forward to Christ.

You could also read through the book of Isaiah, especially starting in chapter 52, and the other OT prophets as well, though that a lot thicker and the meaning is not as obvious in those passages.

Hope that helps.

Churches Of Christ

Ernie Laurence, Jr.

I am capable of answering any questions concerning doctrines of the church of Christ. I specialize in Creation vs. Evolution topics, the book of Revelation and other Biblical prophecies, and other apologetics related topics such as distinctions from denominational doctrines.

My experience in this area includes: having been raised by members of the church of Christ from infancy, having been immersed into the church of Christ at age ten, having taken an active role in worship/service leadership (song leading, teaching, preaching, youth ministry) since age fourteen through the present, and participating in numerous formal debates, research projects, and online discussions.

The church of Christ

Local congregations.

I hold a bachelor's degree in computer information systems (CIS) from Tarleton State University which focuses on business communication and management. This provided training for how to deal professionally with individuals and organizations if not direct training in the field of religion. See experience section for informal education experience.