Churches Of Christ/WILL WE KNOW LOVE ONES IN HEAVEN

Question
BRO. ROBERSON,

I HAVE A SISTER IN THE CHURCH WHO LOST HER DAUGHTER TRAGICALLY. HER DAUGHTER WAS A VERY FAITHFUL CHRISTIAN. SHE WANTS TO KNOW WILL SHE KNOW HER DAUGHTER IN HEAVEN, AS HER DAUGHTER. WOULD YOU HELP ME EXPLAIN THIS TO HER FROM SCRIPTURE. THANK YOU SIR FOR YOUR WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING.

BRO. JAMES HARRIS

Answer
Brother Harris,

Paul clearly tells us that we will have bodies. Transformed bodies, but bodies. When Jesus is raised, His disciples recognize Him even if He has a transformed body.

When Jesus is quizzed about the wife of seven husbands, His response is limited to not being given in marriage. He does not say they won't recognize each other.

So, while we aren't told directly, the sum of Scripture indicates that we will have bodies, that we will remain with our identities, will have memories, but will not maintain our temporal relationships.

Your friend and her daughter will know each other, will know what their relationship was, and will enjoy being with each other - and their other loved ones.

Churches Of Christ

Hoyt Roberson