Churches Of Christ/young adults and music in the church

Question
Very general question with no definite answer but...We are an accapella church that seems to be loosing a lot of our young adults that return from Christian colleges. They want to attend a church with instrumental music as it makes them feel better and more alive; ones that have bands and multiple song leaders with the denomination and beliefs not really being of importance. How do we advise and lead these young adults so we do not loose them to the world and its values?

Answer

Thank you for asking me your question. I do see this problem among churches of Christ all over and it's been going on since I was a young college student in the mid 1980's. I don't think there is any easy answer to the problem. I felt similar to my friends when I was a young college student. I felt like I wasn't getting anything out of worship and it was both boring and just something that I did without thinking about - like going through the motions. I wanted to feel energized when I attended worship.

But I really thought carefully about it and did some serious soul searching as well as deeper Bible study and I concluded that the problem was not in how we worship. It wasn't necessary to change anything about the worship. The reason I wasn't getting anything out of worship was that I wasn't putting anything into it. The problem was in myself; in my heart. It was my attitude that needed changing. Once I made that change worship was no longer boring and I felt alive and encouraged and motivated by worship.

We should never compromise our principles just to gain acceptance and popularity or in an effort to keep some from leaving the church. The biggest problem today is that parents are not raising their kids and teaching them the truth of God's Word anymore. They seem to think that responsibility is on the youth minister and those who teach the Bible classes at church. Yes a good youth minister and good Bible teachers can help, but the main responsibility is that of the parents to lead by example and teach and encourage their children to be dedicated students of God's Word.

We are not a denomination. We are seeking to be the one true church established on the day of Pentecost in 33 AD and strive for everyone to unite on God's Word. The only way we can be the church which belongs to Christ Jesus is to organize, worship, teach, and preach according to the New Testament pattern. The only way a person can become a Christian is to hear the gospel, believe, repent of sins, confess Jesus to be the Son of God and be water baptized for remission of sins. From that moment on they dedicate themselves to living for God as a new creation. We cannot just do what we want to do when we worship. We must do it God's Way and the focus is not on entertaining ourselves but on showing our love, thanks, and commitment to God in our worship and all areas of our lives and in the church as a whole.

I hope I have helped in some way.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman