Churches Of Christ/Apostles

Question
We're there more apostles than 12? Need scriptures!
Is the sinner's prayer in the Bible? Need Scriptures!
Can you take the Holy communion on other days than Sunday? Need scriptures!

Answer
Thanks for your questions. In Acts 1:21 we read the qualifications Peter set out for someone to take Judas' place. And from these qualifications two men were selected. And from these two men Peter and the others decided to "cast lots" to chose someone to join with them to preach the resurrection of Jesus Christ....
Acts 1:21Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

This all happened before the 11 apostles had been baptized with the Holy Spirit. I do not believe at this time they had the authority to make the selection of someone to be an apostle of Jesus Christ. I know men in the New Testament are called apostles (Barnabas), an "apostle" in the Biblical sense is someone sent with delegated authority. A representative, or ambassador for someone else. Paul was an Apostle of Christ. Barnabas was sent by the Holy Spirit. Acts 13:2 Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And he was even called an apostle in Acts 14:14. But I believe the only possible way to be an Apostle of Jesus Christ is if Jesus Christ Himself choses that person. We know of only 13 men that Jesus chose to be His Apostles and Judas hung himself and lost his place. Jesus then chose Saul of Tarsus to replace Judas in spite of what may have taken place in the upper room before the 11 others even had the power of the Holy Spirit. The Bible says, Rev. 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
So no matter how many apostles man may count as an "Apostle" the only ones God counts number 12 apostles of the Lamb.

I can't give any scripture for "The Sinner's Prayer" because it's not something that I can find in the Bible. I have never found anything in the Bible that would suggest to pray Jesus to come into our hearts and save us. The closest thing I could find is in Acts 9:11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he PRAYETH, But when Ananias arrive he told Paul to get up and be BAPTIZED and wash away is sins. So even though Jesus knew Paul was praying. Jesus did not forgive Paul's sins until he was BAPTIZED.

The Lord's Supper is to be eaten on the First Day of the Week. The Lord's Day is a "Day of Remembrance." Jesus instituted this day 1. Jesus instituted the "Lord's Supper" in Mt 26:26-29; Mk 14:22-25; Lk 22:14-232. Paul gave us some more details in 1 Cor 10:16-17,21; 11:20-34 Paul gave the instruction the the Corinthians to Do This In Remembrance of Christ. A. Christians were commanded to give every Sunday:
1. It is inferred that this collection would take place within the assembly.
2. Christians were already meeting every Sunday when Paul commanded weekly giving.
B. Acts 20:7 is a key verse for both the day and frequency of LS and assembly
1. Acts 20:7 is only example of NT worship service where a specific day is mentioned.
2. Notice they came together for the specific purpose of breaking bread. 1 Cor 11:20,33
3. The line of reasoning that establishes the frequency of assembly is the exact same line of reasoning to establish the frequency of the Lord's supper.
4. If someone maintains that we don't have to break bread every Lord's day, then the same holds true of the assembly itself.
C. In view of 1 Cor 16:1,2 + Acts 20:7 it is evident that Christians assembled every Sunday to break bread & give into a common treasury.

I hope this answers your questions. I am happy to help if you have any other questions or concerns. God Bless you and yours.
Dale

Churches Of Christ

Dale Ferguson