Churches Of Christ/Predestination

I was a member of the Church of Christ an am now at Lakepointe in Rockwall. What is your vie on predestination? I also would like to know about spiritual gifts.

Thank you For your time God Bless

Hi Terri,

Thank you for asking me your questions but I am puzzled as to why you are seeking answers from me or anyone connected to the churches of Christ when you are no longer a member of the church of Christ. I am sure my answers will not be anything believed and taught by those at Lakepointe in Rockwall. I will give you the answers I believe to be biblical though.

Predestined is a word that many misunderstand and they build major assumptions based on this misunderstanding. First, let's look at some verses.

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and willó 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Paul is not speaking of specific people but of the character purpose and plan. These are the ways in which predestination are spoken of in the Bible. We are not predestined meaning chosen by God as to who is saved and who is not saved. God predestined the plan for salvation and how we gain salvation. It's true that we do not earn salvation but that doesn't mean there is nothing we can do or are required to do in order to be saved. It only means we cannot earn it. The only way we could truly earn it would be to live a sinless life from birth to death like Jesus did. No one can do that but Jesus.

I Corinthians 2:7
7 No, we declare Godís wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

Again, this is a verse speaking about the plan of salvation being predestined.

Romans 8:29, 30
29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

This passage in Romans is definitely one of the main passages that is completely misunderstood but again it speaks of the character of those saved, and the plan to save.

We also know from Acts 10:34; Rom.2:11-12; 1 Pet.1:17 that God is not a respecter of persons which means He does not play favorites in regard to who can and cannot be saved.

God also does not wish that any should perish but wants all to be saved according to Tit.2:11; 1 Tim.2:3-4; 2 Pet.3:9.

If predestination as taught by Calvinists and many in the denominational world were true, then Satan would not be an enemy for the "saved" to worry about. So why do we have warnings like the one in 1 Pet.5:8

The bottom line is that we have free will and we can fall from God's grace. I recommend a careful reading of Hebrews as well.

I am not sure what you are asking me to explain regarding spiritual gifts. Are you asking me to explain whether or not we have gifts to perform miracles like they did in the New Testament? If you were a member of the church of Christ, you should already now what I will say about this topic.

If you refer to what is said in Ephesians 1:3, that is different. In Ephesians Paul is speaking of the many blessings we have when we become Christians. We can trust in God's promise to save us as long as we live as Christians.

If you have more specific questions regarding spiritual gifts, please ask me follow up questions. My hope is that what I have provided is of help to you regarding predestined. I seek only to give biblical answers and help everyone better understand God's Word.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks