Churches Of Christ/LORD'S SUPPER

Question
DEAR BRO. ROBERSON,

I HAVE AN ELDERLY BROTHER IN THE CHURCH WHO WORKS ON THE LORD SUPPER TABLE. I WAS INFORMED THAT HE WAS GIVING HIS 5 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER THE LORD'S SUPPER, AND SHE IS NOT BAPTIZED. ON SUNDAY SHE HAD FOUR OF HER LITTLE FRIENDS WITH HER, AND I OBSERVED MY BROTHER GIVING ALL OF THEM THE LORD'S SUPPER. NONE OF HER LITTLE FRIENDS ARE BAPTIZED. IN YOUR OPINION, SHOULD I GO TO HIM ONE ON ONE TO DISCUSS THE MATTER? IF SO, HOW SHOULD I EXPLAIN TO HIM THAT THIS IS WRONG?

THANK YOU,
         BRO. JAMES HARRIS

Answer
Brother Harris,

Greetings in the name of God. I pray that our God grants you peace and fills you with wisdom.

The Supper is rightly taken by believersvas a proclamation of our faith, and a reminder of the example of our God. Nonbelievers truly cannot do either of those and it is therefore pointless for them to share in communion.

Having said that, I don't know that there is any moral or spiritual problem with children of that age being offered it. If your friend is simply trying to be graceful toward the children, there is likely nothing untoward about that either. We do not understand the Supper as a sacrament as though the elements are other than cracker and juice. The children then are not desecrating anything.

I personally do not support giving communion to nonbelievers but neither do I believe doing so for these children is sin. Improper perhaps but not sin. If you want to talk with your friend, certainly do so but do so without judging or denigrating him.

If you want to know what your congregation should be practicing, you should, without mentioning any names, simply ask your elders what they teach. At the very least, your congregation should all be on the same page.

I will pray for and with you over the next week that our God will grant you wisdom and humility as you meditate on the word of God and talk with your friend.

May God bless you immeasurably in the months to come

Hoyt

Churches Of Christ

Hoyt Roberson