Churches Of Christ/FINAL JUDGEMENT

Question
BRO. ROBERSON IN 1CORINTHIANS 15:52, WHERE IT SAYS THAT THE DEAD SHALL BE RAISED INCORRUPTIBLE, AND WE SHALL BE CHANGED, WILL THE JUDGEMENT ALREADY HAVE HAPPENED,WHEN COMPARING THIS VERSE WITH 1THESSALONIANS 4:16-17?

THANK YOU
         BRO.JAMES HARRIS

Answer
Brother Harris

I am not convinced that it is possible to construct a timeline from these two passages. The first difficulty with this is that the passages are not written to establish a time line, but to offer hope. The passages seem to have in common a concern that if our physical bodies decay after death, how will we - how can we - be raised? If there is no body, how then do we join God?

Paul's answer in Corinthians is simply that his readers should worry about that - beings have different bodies and God will transform not only the physical bodies of those alive at his coming, but also the bodies of those who have died. A similar concern appears in Thessalonians.

The rhetorical argument assumes that the readers are saved and can look forward to being transformed and joining God. The language used is based in this assumption and is not intended to establish a chronological series of events involving a final judgment.

Even so, it appears from Thessalonians that those dead in Christ are with Him and will return with Him. Whether that means they are coming to stand the general judgment, or have already been judged we cannot tell from the text.

I hope that helps a bit.

Blessings

Hoyt

Churches Of Christ

Hoyt Roberson