Churches Of Christ/Romans 7:1-4

Is this verse saying a woman can never get a divorce unless her husband is dead.Even if the husband cheated on her.

Sorry, I missed that I had this question pending.

Romans 7:1-4 (1) Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?  2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.  4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

This question is good news for all believers. We are dead to law through Jesus Christ and law is dead to us. We should not make the mistake of making this an argument about marriage and divorce. Certainly there has been discussion about this passage and to the nuances of what it means in itself. But what Paul is saying is that if we were subject to the demands of law (punishment for having broken it and the requirement to keep it perfectly to not be guilty enough to die) we could not be joined to Christ without committing adultery.

Through Jesus Christ WE have died to the law and THE LAW has died to us. We are no longer bound to it. This is because we have been joined to another, Jesus Christ. In chapter 3 of Galatians we are told that law was a tutor to lead us to Jesus Christ. This was law's purpose. It claims our conscience with cries of "GUILTY" so that we seek Jesus for relief. In chapter 2, just prior, we are told that we are made to die to law through law. That is, it leads us to the One Who will accomplish this. So WE DIE to law.

Galatians 2:19-20 (19) For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

When I was crucified with Christ at baptism through faith I was made to die to law's demand over me. If that were not enough, scripture also says that LAW DIES to us (is nailed to the cross) as well.

Colossians 2:13-14 (13) When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, 14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

So either way it goes we are no longer under law's demands when we walk in faith with Jesus Christ the husband of we who are His bride.  

Churches Of Christ

John Fields

I strive to intelligently and respectfully discuss thoughtful questions pertaining to doctrinal issues within the Churches of Christ and feel I can contribute thoughtful answers in most cases. I feel myself to be especially adept when answering questions regarding the Gospel of Christ and baptism. I always strive to be humble, realizing that there are some issues that are respectfully and honorably debatable. I realize that the Bible is perfect and able to provide any truth that the seeker of truth is after. At the same time I realize that though I am very conscientious about pointing people in the right direction, I am still a fallible human being and certainly capable of making mistakes. I will always give my opinion AS my opinion and strive not to state as fact something which cannot be supported by good logic or a good thorough study through the scriptures.

I am a minister within the Churches of Christ. I have been preaching for 14 years and have been on five separate mission trips to the Volta Region of Ghana, West Africa. I have preached the Gospel to literally thousands of people and it is my passion to do so.

I graduated with honors from Atkins High School in Atkins, AR in 1984. I went on to get my Bible degree at Harding University in Searcy, AR where I graduated Cum Laude.