Churches Of Christ/About Christ

Question
Hi Ernie,

What does the word Christ mean?

Why the Israelites were waiting for Christ?

Why is it important to say Jesus is the Christ?

Answer
Hi Praywin.  Good to hear from you again.

Christ is from the Greek and means "annointed".  It is equal to the Hebrew Messiah.  Jesus is the Annointed of God to be King of the Kingdom of God.  It is a name that symbolizes His ultimate authority such as He claimed in Matthew 28:18 where Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on Earth has been given to me."

The Israelites were waiting for the Messiah, the Annointed One for one of two reasons.

1)  They were properly looking for the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham where God said all the nation's of the world would be blessed and true salvation would come.

OR

2)  Most of them were looking for a David - like physical king to lead them in victory over the surrounding physical nations and set up an earthly empire.  These were enamored of temporary physical things and did not understand the greater spiritual truths.

We don't always have to refer to Jesus as "Jesus Christ".  There is no indication that others in scripture always and exclusively referred to Jesus that way.  The Bible references Him a number of different ways and any of those are fine.

Hope that answers your question.

Churches Of Christ

Ernie Laurence, Jr.