Churches Of Christ/Death

Do we have an appointed time of death according to scriptures? I wonder this because so many times I should of died already but did not. Yet think about those who take their own lives by choice or do foolish things which lead to their death. So I get confused.

According to scriptures; is our death predetermined?

The answer is a little complicated in one sense. God is not bound to time like we are so He knows all. We all have things good and bad that can happen to us. We know from scripture that it rains on the just as well as the unjust(Matt.5:45).

I did a search for the word appointed and found this passage.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

From this one verse we cannot really say that all our deaths are predetermined or we all have a set day and time by God to die. All this verse really says is that all of us will die once physically. We do not know when we will die and when we will not die...but come close. We have no way of knowing when Christ will return either.

We also know from Ecclesiastes that there is a time and purpose for all things. I encourage you to read the entire chapter of Ecclesiastes 3.

Also, we know that Jesus' life and death was all pre-determined because we have hundreds of passages in the Old Testament which predicted accurately many details of Jesus' birth, life, and death. So many seem to be impossible for anyone to plan and make happen. Life casting lots for his clothes and piercing his side and making sure no bones were broken - they typically would break the legs of those crucified to speed up the dying process on the cross.

But we are not supposed to know when our time is up and yes we can do stupid things to increase the chance we will die sooner than later. People can choose to commit suicide. But we should always live like each day could be our last.

Don't worry or get confused about whether or not our death is predetermined. Always be thankful for each new day you are alive and live that day as if it is your last. Be ready for Christ's return. Make sure the people you love know you love them by how you treat them. Seek just one more soul to win for Christ.

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your question. I have had a rough week and weekend. God bless you!

In Christian Love,

Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks