Churches Of Christ/Qualifications of elders

Hello Ernie,

We are in the process of appointing elders in our church.

We have short listed four brothers for the elder position.

Out of the four one lost his wife as she was ill and could not recover around five years back.

But she was in faith when she died and now his children are also in faith.

Now we have a doubt since his wife is not alive he is not qualified for the position.

Please clarify.

The language of 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 is very clear on the qualifications of elders with regard to marriage.  He must be the husband of one wife.  The word "to be" is present active in these passages in a form that is current and ongoing.  So its not just that a man had to be married once to qualify, its that his current state must be "married" to one woman.  In my understanding, no matter what other qualifications the widower has, he is not currently qualified to be an elder because he is single, he is not currently the husband of one wife.

Churches Of Christ

Ernie Laurence, Jr.

I am capable of answering any questions concerning doctrines of the church of Christ. I specialize in Creation vs. Evolution topics, the book of Revelation and other Biblical prophecies, and other apologetics related topics such as distinctions from denominational doctrines.

My experience in this area includes: having been raised by members of the church of Christ from infancy, having been immersed into the church of Christ at age ten, having taken an active role in worship/service leadership (song leading, teaching, preaching, youth ministry) since age fourteen through the present, and participating in numerous formal debates, research projects, and online discussions.

The church of Christ

Local congregations.

I hold a bachelor's degree in computer information systems (CIS) from Tarleton State University which focuses on business communication and management. This provided training for how to deal professionally with individuals and organizations if not direct training in the field of religion. See experience section for informal education experience.