Churches Of Christ/baptism

Question
Can a church of christ member get rebaptize and what grounds are for rebaptism scriptures please

Answer
Hi Miguel,

You ask a good question but it is not possible for anyone to provide scriptures regarding re-baptism because there are none that speak of it. There are plenty that speak of baptism though. You are probably very familiar with them too. But I wish to share at least a couple of passages with you now.

Galatians 3:27-29
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

1 Peter 3:21
21 There is also an anti-type which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

My purpose for sharing these two verses is because they both state important facts regarding baptism; what it means and what it does for the one who submits to it. When we are baptized, we put on Christ Jesus. We become intimately connected to Him. He is in us. We also share a unity with all who are baptized into Christ Jesus. We are ONE in Christ. We also have an inheritance because we are spiritually Abraham's Seed of promise. That inheritance is eternal life in Heaven with God!

Now the passage in 1 Peter is also very important for us to keep in mind. When we are baptized we are giving God our answer of a good conscience toward God. That was from The New King James Version. The English Standard Version says, "an appeal to God for a good conscience." I believe the original language supports that it is an appeal to God for a good conscience although neither version is really incorrect on this verse.

Now the reason I want to draw your attention to these passages and especially the one in 1st Peter is because they are very significant when we speak of re-baptism. The fact is that there really is no such thing as "re-baptism". God only requires us to submit to being baptized once in our lives. Now the reason some choose to get baptized a second time is because they have doubts as to whether or not they truly understood what they needed to understand and know prior to being baptized the first time. Many who have been "raised" in the church end up getting baptized between 10 and 12 years of age. Once they become adults and are building a life of their own, many look back and begin to doubt that their baptism was legitimate.

I've known some who have struggled with doubt regarding their being baptized at a young age. Some choose to go forward with their best friend and both end up getting baptized. As they get older, one or both might think the only reason they did it was because their friend was doing it too. The majority of the time though, when someone wonders if they knew enough and if their first baptism was truly a baptism accepted by God or not, they eventually end up getting baptized as an adult just to be sure.

My father was a minister most of his life and he would often have someone come to him asking to be baptized a second time or at least wanting to talk with him about their doubts regarding the legitimacy of the first baptism. My dad would simply tell them he has no problem baptizing them again. His view was that if the first baptism was acceptable to God, then the second one would just be getting dunked - but it would remove the doubts from the individual who chooses to get baptized a second time. If the first time was not acceptable to God, then the second time would be acceptable if the person now truly understands what they are doing and why and they are wishing to commit themselves from that day forward to die to a life of sin and live a Christ-like life.

I do hope that I have helped you in the answer I have provided here. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will do my best to provide a biblical, accurate, answer.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman