Churches Of Christ/day of worship

Question
If luke 6:1-11 talks about the Sabbath and Jesus a Sabbath keeper and said i am the law of the Sabbath if Jesus himself says keep the Sabbath why do people worship on Sunday he died on Friday rested on Saturday rose Sunday so there's an example he kept the Sabbath by resting on it

Answer
Hi Miguel,

I am not sure why you are so caught up on the Sabbath. I will do my best to explain more completely what the New Testament teaches regarding the Sabbath.

When the New Covenant was established, the Old Covenant was removed - taken out of the way.

Heb.8:6-13
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH— 9 NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS IN THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; BECAUSE THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DISREGARDED THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
10 FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR MIND AND WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. 11 NONE OF THEM SHALL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR, AND NONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL SHALL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST OF THEM TO THE GREATEST OF THEM. 12 FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

I really hope that you will take the time to carefully study the entire book of Hebrews. The main purpose of that letter is to explain that we are no longer to keep any part of the Old Covenant. Consider this passage in Galatians chapter 5.

Gal.5:1-14
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. 7 You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion does not come from Him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in you, in the Lord, that you will have no other mind; but he who troubles you shall bear his judgment, whoever he is. 11 And I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offense of the cross has ceased. 12 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off!
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

Jesus lived under the Old Covenant and He was the ONLY one who was able to live under the Old Covenant Law and not sin. The New Covenant did not come into place until the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. Christ Jesus had to die and rise from the dead before the New Covenant could be established.

Consider these words of Jesus Christ.

Mat_5:17,18
17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Notice Jesus says in verse 17 He came to FULFILL the Law and Prophets. Then in verse 18 Jesus says, none of the Law and Prophets will pass UNTIL ALL IS FULFILLED.

Once all was fulfilled, the Law was replaced. My hope is that this answer helps you understand that if we try to bind even one part of the Old Law, we are required to keep the whole Law and we become estranged from Christ and fall from Grace (Gal.5:4).

In Christian Love, Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman