Churches Of Christ/day of worship

Jesus died on friday rested on Saturday rose on Sunday according to the scriptures shouldn't Saturday be the day of worship since Christ did it and in 321 AD constaine changed the worship day from Saturday to Sunday

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for asking me your question. First of all, the facts are that Jesus died on a Friday and was raised from the dead on a Sunday. The day of worship for Christians was always Sunday from the Day of Pentecost in the year 33 AD forward. The reason it was on Sunday was because that is the day Jesus rose from the dead.

What Constantine did was decree that "Christians" (technically not true Christians but Catholics) were required to rest on Sunday and treat Sunday the way the Jews treated Saturday. The problem is that the Sabbath was ONLY for Jews and was done away along with all the other Old Covenant requirements when the New Covenant was established. We do not have Sabbath as a requirement anywhere in the New Testament.

So to conclude, We must always worship on Sunday and not on Saturday because that is how the original church did it and that is when Jesus rose from the dead. We are not supposed to keep the Sabbath at all - not on Saturday nor on Sunday. That is part of the Old Covenant. The same is true of Circumcision and many other Jewish practices from the Old Covenant. My prayer is that this answer is helpful to you.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks