Churches Of Christ/right day of worship

Did constaine change Saturday to Sunday worship in ad 321. Christ died on Friday rested on Saturday rose on Sunday according to the Biblical scriptures remember the Sabbath day So Saturday should be the right day for worship Christ did it

Miguel, thank you for your sincere desire to understand truly what the Word of God says. So many just accept what they are told without question. I wrote an article on this several years ago. I have even presented it as a sermon. I believe that if you study this, your question will be answered beyond just satisfaction.

The Seventh Day, the First Day, or the Sabbath Day?

Many different teachings exist on many different Bible subjects in the world. The aim of this lesson is to look variations on one doctrine, and decide whether it is from God or man. Once again, as always, I am a man and fallible. Check scripture with me yourself to see if these things are so.

Many people find prophecy to be a fascinating subject. Some will study it to discern its meaning. Some will ignore it rather than grow, as it is a difficult subject. Others will fantasize and apply all types of unintended events as evidence to prove a fallacy. A few bold ones will create their own prophecies.

For purposes of this sermon, as with all I write, I will use Bible names for Bible things. If someone decides to use something else, I will simply take the thing they are speaking of, see what the Bible says about it, and if it is there, I will give the correct name and usage for it.

Are these teachings important to our salvation? Many argue against such. Yet, if a particular religion teaches something in error, and will not fix it when shown the way of God "more perfectly", can you trust them with other matters that pertain to salvation of your soul? This you must decide for yourself. Very few are in agreement, and there is no way that all can be correct. The answer is most ignore a very plain verse of scripture;†2nd Peter 2:10. With this scripture conveniently tucked away, or even hidden, people are able to justify any number of things by lifting prophecy out of its context and its history. If we allow the Bible to interpret itself, there will not be this problem. How can we do this with prophecy? I say we look at other prophecies, see to whom they are directed, see how they are worded, notice under what circumstances they were penned, and see how they are fulfilled. With this knowledge, since God doesn't change, if the prophecies are directed to the same type of audience, are worded the same way, we can rest assured they will be fulfilled the same way.

Let us look at a prophecy from a lesser known prophet.

NOW HEAR YE THE WORD OF THE LORD as recorded in Hosea 2:2-23:

"Plead with your mother, plead: for she [is] not my wife, neither [am] I her husband: let her therefore put away her whoredoms out of her sight, and her adulteries from between her breasts; Lest I strip her naked, and set her as in the day that she was born, and make her as a wilderness, and set her like a dry land, and slay her with thirst. And I will not have mercy upon her children; for they [be] the children of whoredoms. For their mother hath played the harlot: she that conceived them hath done shamefully: for she said, I will go after my lovers, that give [me] my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, mine oil and my drink. Therefore, behold, I will hedge up thy way with thorns, and make a wall, that she shall not find her paths. And she shall follow after her lovers, but she shall not overtake them; and she shall seek them, but shall not find [them]: then shall she say, I will go and return to my first husband; for then [was it] better with me than now. For she did not know that I gave her corn, and wine, and oil, and multiplied her silver and gold, [which] they prepared for Baal. Therefore will I return, and take away my corn in the time thereof, and my wine in the season thereof, and will recover my wool and my flax [given] to cover her nakedness. And now will I discover her lewdness in the sight of her lovers, and none shall deliver her out of mine hand. I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts. And I will destroy her vines and her fig trees, whereof she hath said, These [are] my rewards that my lovers have given me: and I will make them a forest, and the beasts of the field shall eat them. And I will visit upon her the days of Baalim, wherein she burned incense to them, and she decked herself with her earrings and her jewels, and she went after her lovers, and forgat me, saith the LORD. Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her. And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt. And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, [that] thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali. For I will take away the names of Baalim out of her mouth, and they shall no more be remembered by their name. And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and [with] the creeping things of the ground: and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the earth, and will make them to lie down safely. And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD. And it shall come to pass in that day, I will hear, saith the LORD, I will hear the heavens, and they shall hear the earth; And the earth shall hear the corn, and the wine, and the oil; and they shall hear Jezreel. And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to [them which were] not my people, Thou [art] my people; and they shall say, [Thou art] my God." (emphasis mine, MRH)

Here we have a prophecy saying quite clearly the sabbaths, along with both feasts and feast days were going to end for someone, at sometime. Catholicism ignores this scripture altogether. Instead, they claim to have changed the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Blind denominationalism accepts their claim, and now believes Sunday is our sabbath.

God made it to be the seventh day of the week (Saturday), and no one is given authority to change which day of the week is the sabbath (c.f., Genesis 2:2-3 Exodus 16:23 Deuteronomy 4:2). In Spanish (a derivative of Latin, so Rome really knows better), the name of the seventh day of the week is itself Sabbado, (Do you see an English equivalent?) meaning seventh.

The sabbath was not, is not, and never will be the first day of the week (Sunday)! The catholic hierarchy is caught in an outright lie once again.

This does leave us yet with two questions. Who is going to lose their sabbaths? When will this prophecy be fulfilled? I will deal with these momentarily. Before I do, though, I must first deal with why some people still try to keep this day in these times. There is more confusion on this part of the subject than there is on what day it really is.

Many try to justify keeping the sabbath today with the argument that Sunday is the day of the sun god. I turn that right around with the fact that Saturday was/is a day for worshiping Saturn, the god of mysteries. Many pagan practices have always followed closely with some of the teachings of God; they are based on some of the same prophecies from the patriarchal age. What pagans, and societies choose to call certain days or things in no way diminishes or negates the truth contained about those things in Godís Word.

Then will come the argument that the sabbath was a perpetual observance, citing Exodus 31:16. "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual covenant."

Observe these two passages with me from just one and two chapters earlier in the same book.

Exodus 29:9, "And thou shalt gird them with girdles, Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on them: and the priestís office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate Aaron and his sons."

Exodus 30:8, "And when Aaron lighteth the lamps at even, he shall burn incense upon it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations."

The sabbath was perpetual just as were bonnets on the priests and the burning of incense. There is no difference at all in the word used. It is the Hebrew "owlam" {o-lawmí} and its first and primary definition is (a) "long duration," whether in antiquity or futurity. It can carry the meaning of "forever," but that is a secondary meaning which must be determined by context and exegesis, rather than an arbitrary assignation. Barring proof the sabbath became extinct, I would be the strongest advocate for keeping it, for everybody to whom it was given. They are shown together here as being part of the exact same law.

Yet, these groups do not practice these things. Their mind is made up, and you cannot confuse them with the facts. They wish to pick and choose portions of the Old Law to keep, and portions to discard. They fail to realize that when they fail to put bonnets on priests, or burn incense, they also fail in the sabbath as it is the same law, regardless if they still meet on Saturday.
It is believed the sabbath was given to all mankind. Consider their own "proof text" which they are now totally ready to abandon;

Exodus 31:16, "Wherefore the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout THEIR generations, [for] a perpetual covenant." (emphasis mine, MRH)

Whose generations were commanded to keep the sabbath in the first place? The pronoun "their" has for its antecedent "the children of Israel." It is the generations of the children of Israel who were to keep the sabbaths as long as they were in existence.

Would anyone care to guess where the first reference to a commanded sabbath exists in scripture? I am not talking about the creation accounts in Genesis, where God did something (or nothing, depending on your point of view) on the seventh day. I am referring to the actual word sabbath, when people were told to observe it.

Exodus 16:23-29, "And he said unto them, This [is that] which the LORD hath said, To morrow [is] the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake [that] which ye will bake [to day], and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein. And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day [is] a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field. Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, [which is] the sabbath, in it there shall be none. And it came to pass, [that] there went out [some] of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws? See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

Israel had not received the law at this point, save in necessary bits and pieces from Moses needed to be righteous until the complete revelation of the law on Sinai. Moses had to explain to the nation what was going to happen and why. The Lord rests on the seventh day of the week. He gives them instructions on how to prepare for His rest. He even repeats the command to them for emphasis, as it was something new to them. That God was going to rest was so foreign to them, some didn't believe he was going to rest; they went out on the sabbath to gather the manna. They had never heard of the concept before; it had never been commanded before this time to either Jew or Gentile. From this, one may safely conclude the reason for the sabbath being commanded at this time was for rememberance of the Lord bringing Israel out of bondage. Again, this would make it apply only to Israel, and ties it tightly to the feast days with the same purpose. If one stands, thay all stand. Likewise, the same goes for any one falling.

When shown our scripture text for this lesson, they seem to be taken aback. They are now grasping at straw men, having seen how tenuous is their position. After a few weeks of thinking, it dawns on them that the prophecy was given only to the ten tribes of Israel, as Gomer was selected as Hoseaís wife because Israel was in apostasy. They believe Judah is exempt from this prophecy, and therefore their cherished position, which they believe provides them superiority over the other denominations, is now safe once again, since Christianity sprang from the nation of Judah, rather than Israel. They are forced to stop at this point in the prophecy to preserve their position. Here is what they have missed this time.

Hosea 5:3-5, "I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hid from me: for now, O Ephraim, thou committest whoredom, [and] Israel is defiled. They will not frame their doings to turn unto their God: for the spirit of whoredoms [is] in the midst of them, and they have not known the LORD. And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: therefore shall Israel and Ephraim fall in their iniquity; JUDAH ALSO SHALL FALL WITH THEM." (emphasis mine, MRH)

Notice, here, we have the same reason (whoredom, the whole purpose and reason for this prophecy) which caused Hosea to prophesy of the extinction of the sabbath. We have come back to the topic of the extinction. Judah will lose the sabbath, also.

If you can find one instance where the command was given to another people, other than the religious converts of Israel, I will personally walk out to the nearest cemetery and raise the dead (a valid spiritual gift during the time of their existence). For, if this fulfilled prophecy (proof in a moment) did not make the sabbath extinct, neither did the fulfilled prophecy in 1st Corinthians 13 remove Spiritual gifts which became extinct.

The next argument I hear consistently is that only part of the law of Moses (ceremonial) was nailed to the cross. Not so! An imaginary line is drawn between the law of God, and the law of Moses. This line was not drawn by God, but rather man in the first place.

Ephesians 2:11-17, "Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us]; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh."

This is the only verse that could lead to a possible distinction between the two. Even so, both the law (ten commandments) and the ceremonial law (ordinances) were nailed to the cross. At this point, it becomes sufficient the sabbath no longer exists as a commanded part of the law, as Christ laid down His changes to the law (that He might write it on the hearts of men) each time He made the statement, "You have heard it said...but I say..." He took nine of the ten commandments of Moses and expounded on them. He may have observed the sabbath, as the law of Moses was still in effect, and if He did not observe it, He would be guilty of one point of the law, thereby being guilty of all. This would make Him unacceptable as Savior. By the same token, He also commanded individuals, alive during the time of the lawís validity, to observe it, as it was still righteousness to do so. He never once intimated the sabbath was to be continued. I wonder why.

Hebrews 8:6-13, "But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

The Old Testament was faulty from the beginning. It was never intended as the final law for mankind. People think this is God changing, and therefore they believe it is impossible. This is not correct. This is God bringing about His original plan. He simply did it in steps so that man could be ready for the right law. Without knowing the meanings behind the Old Testament, man would never appreciate the New, and would never avail himself of God's grace.

Sometimes, people believe that since Jesus kept it, they must, also.

Hebrews 9:16-17 "For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth."

In order for Jesus to be an example of sabbath keeping, it would be necessary for Him to die BEFORE keeping and teaching it. He simply did not.

Now, we come to the proof of the fulfillment of the prophecy. It is contained in our very text for this lesson, in verses 21-23.

And it shall come to pass in that day, I will hear, saith the LORD, I will hear the heavens, and they shall hear the earth; And the earth shall hear the corn, and the wine, and the oil; and they shall hear Jezreel. And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had NOT obtained mercy; and I will say to [them which were] NOT my people, Thou [art] my people; and they shall say, [Thou art] my God." (emphasis mine, MRH)

Those people who would be called Godís people are Gentiles. This was fulfilled in Acts chapter 10, as Cornelius, a Gentile, became saved. There is a similar prophecy, fulfilled at the same time, if you would care to examine it, Isaiah 62:2-12. The acknowledgement of this requirement for fulfillment (Gentile acceptance) of Isaiah 62, (and Hosea 2 & 5 by extension of the same standard) is located in Acts 11:26, when the disciples were called by their new name, Christians.

We have now proven beyond any doubt the sabbath observance is no longer commanded. This raises a final question. Is it still acceptable to worship on this day?

It was never acceptable for the Gentiles, for it was never given to them. For it to be acceptable for Jews, there would have to be a direct commandment, a necessary inference, or an approved example of such. We have none. The apostles were out on that day trying to convert people, true enough. Why? It was a convenient time to do so, as there were Jews gathered on this particular day, and so far, the gospel was actively being presented only to the Jews.

What command do we have on a day of worship? None. Likewise, we have no inferences. Do we have any examples of worship on a particular day? Yes, we do! What are they? There are two which were approved by the apostles.

Acts 20:7, "And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

1st Corinthians 16:2, "Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."

Notice with me, in Acts 20:7, the disciples came together to (for the purpose of) break(ing) bread (taking communion with Christ). In 1st Corinthians 16:2, there was a general collection taken of the saints as they were already gathered. Everyone understands these things are done as a part of worship, no matter which day they observe. In both cases, it is done on the first day of the week, not the sabbath. They are left with no choice but to deny these passages are referring to worship in order to keep promulgating their false doctrine. If you attend their vain (i.e., empty and meaningless) worship services (teaching for doctrines the commandments of men; Matthew 15:9), you will see what they really believe as opposed to what they say.

Why is worship on Sunday now? There are only 6 other direct references to the first day of the week. These should give us an idea of the significance of this day.

Matthew 28:1
Mark 16:2
Mark 16:9
Luke 24:1
John 20:1
John 20:19

In each of these, we see the Savior risen on the first day of the week.

There is also an indirect reference to the first day of the week. Pentecost (50 days after the passover sabbath day) is always on a first day of the week, as 49 days (7x7) from a sabbath day is always a sabbath (seventh) day. The church was born, in Acts chapter 2, on Pentecost (the next day after a sabbath/the first day of the week: Sunday). We observe the weekly anniversary of the risen savior by remembering His arising with communion (in memory of Him). This is not because it is the day of the sun god, for he is nothing. It is the day of the Son, God; the Lordís day. He is everything.

I do not "hate" catholics. Their doctrine (for the most part) is damnable heresy (according to Galatians 1:8-9); this is what I hate. As much as it pains me to agree with anything they say, Sunday is now the only approved and acceptable day of worship. It just is NOT the Sabbath. To do anything else is to reject grace in favor of the old law, which was, and still is, unable to save.

Churches Of Christ

Marvin Howard

I consider myself to be a "doctrine specialist" if there is such a thing. I offer scripture to support or refute (as needed) any doctrine practiced within what is commonly termed "Christianity" today. I am willing to try questions on prophecy and history, though they are weak points. I have learned a little, however. Also, as I am disabled, I have time to research many things. For example, I can find a congregation of the church within twenty miles of your ZIP Code if one exists. If traveling, I can locate a congregation for your visit. I am accountable in this ministry to a group of Christians. I will share my answers with them for review. If a question is private, I will redact the names for privacy.

I became a Christian on April 7, 1969. I have been a substitute, spur-of-the-moment preacher for thirty years. My last pulpit was with the congregation in Braswell, GA. My sermons have always contained at least fifty percent scripture. On occasion, I have preached in seven states, and four foreign nations. This is beside my online ministry. I am now, officially retired.

I hope to never mislead anyone saying I'm a member of one group, when I'm really in another as one here does. By his own admission, he isn't a member of the church, but of the "Christian Church" (sic) denomination. If I can be honest, I don't know why others would want to lie.

Having already acquired significant Bible education from self-study, I attended 1.5 years of Bible college through the church at Dyersburg, TN (before my health waned) in an attempt to get paper to say I know what I know.