Churches Of Christ/were does it say church

Were does it say church of Christ like church of God as Paul stated and please no Matthew 16:18 because that doesn't say church of Christ and how many different churches are there in the New testament and why if it's supposed to be one true church

Hi Miguel,

I will do my best to help you and answer your questions. I am not sure why you thought I'd turn to Matthew 16:18 but I will provide the place in the New Testament that it says church of Christ.

Romans 16:16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you.

There was only ONE church that was established by the apostles in the first century. There were many local churches but all were part of that ONE church which belongs to Jesus Christ. There wasn't one official name for the Lord's church. In fact, sometimes it was referred to as "the Lord's church" and other times, "church of God, "churches of Christ", "Christ's church, "the body of Christ", etc...but all refer to this one church and they were organized as instructed within the New Testament and they worshiped God in the same exact way. They were called Christians first at Antioch (Acts 11:26).

We do not intend for "church of Christ" to be a denominational name. It merely describes who we belong to because we are the church which belongs to Christ. We strive to do all according to the pattern revealed in the New Testament. We speak where the Bible speaks and are silent where the Bible is silent. We do not know how many local churches there were  by the time the last apostle died but we do know they were all the one church which began on the Day of Pentecost in 33 AD. There were no denominations and such an idea is contrary to God's will and plan.

I do hope that I have helped you but if you have more questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer you.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman  

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks