Churches Of Christ/matt.19:9

what is the right translation kj or nkj of matt 19:9. kjv used put away nkjv used divorce. Does put away mean divorce.

Hi Garry,

There are some who are convinced that the word apoluo should never be translated as divorce but simply as "put away" and they firmly believe that Jesus was not speaking of full divorce. They even had me convinced they were right for a brief period of time.

There are reasons that I no longer can cling to such a belief. The first reason is that it makes no sense as to why Jesus would not speak of full divorce when it is quite clear that the Pharisees were asking him about full divorce and more specifically Deuteronomy 24:1-4. I fully believe Jesus meant full divorce and that divorce is an accurate translation of apoluo in Matthew 19:9. Having said that, I also firmly believe that Jesus was merely correcting Pharisee error on the Law of Moses and was not giving new commands to Christians here.

I also believe that "commits adultery" is a one time act and not continuous - nor is it sexual in nature but simply expressing "unfaithfulness" because it is the one time action of divorce that makes the woman in essence forced into adultery. She can no longer fulfill her marriage vows because her husband kicked her out of the house and divorced her for no real reason. It is the action of the husband marrying someone else when he had divorced his first wife for no reason that makes him guilty of adultery - by being unfaithful to his first wife. It is the act of marrying the woman who was divorced without cause that makes the man forced into a kind of adultery - unfaithfulness - because he married a woman who should never have been divorced in the first place.

Now if the cause for the divorce was "porneia" then NO ONE would be considered guilty of adultery by the new marriages...under the Law of Moses.

I hope that I have helped you. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask me.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks