Churches Of Christ/1cor. chapter 7 verse 11

QUESTION: you said at the end of verse 11 the word divorce should not be used. It was not the greek word used. what was the greek word used. The kjv uesd put away.

ANSWER: Hi Garry,

I appreciate the question. Please know that I am by no means an expert in ancient Greek. In fact, I am a novice but I know how to use a lexicon and look up things in Vine's and Strong's and Theyer's. The most literal Greek word for divorce is: apostasion - this word is not found at all in 1 Cor.7:10, 11.

The words Paul did use are sometimes translated to mean divorce, yet I am still not of the belief that Paul meant divorce with the two Greek words he used in those two verses. I believe there is a good chance the very end of verse 11 could mean divorce but am convinced the word used in verse 10 does not mean divorce.

I hope that I have helped you and answered the question. Please feel free to write a follow-up question if you have more and I will do my best to provide Bible answers.

Thank you. In Christ,

Joe Norman

QUESTION: in matthew 5:17-19 what law was Jesus talking about.

Hi Garry,

I am not sure if you really don't already know the answer because Jesus stated He did not come to take away the Law and the Prophets. There was only one Law at that time - so He is clearly speaking of the Old Covenant Law and Prophets. Of course this is my point regarding both Matthew 19:9 and Matthew 5:31, 32 - what Jesus says about marriage divorce and remarriage is Old Covenant LAW.

Please feel free to ask me more questions or let me know if you are seeking a more in depth answer. I will do my best to help you.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks