Churches Of Christ/put away and divorce

the kjv uses put way nkjv uses divorce in matthew 5:31-32 which version is right.

Hi Garry,

There was a short period of time when some had convinced me that the correct understanding of the word "apoluo" is "put away" and they further convinced me that this was not speaking of a full divorce but only of a separation. I no longer believe they are correct. My reasons are: The Pharisees were testing Jesus on the Law of Moses and they specifically asked if a man can divorce his wife for any reason. They were not asking about putting away without the certificate of divorce so it makes no sense that Jesus would try speak about separation when He was asked about divorce. Also, I was shown that there have been times when the word "apoluo" was used in ancient writings of that time period and it clearly referred to full divorce. So there is no evidence to support the belief that "apoluo" never can mean full divorce. So to answer your question, it is more accurate to translate it as divorce.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks