Churches Of Christ/matthew 5:32

how can Jesus be talking about the old law. When he said whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. They were put to death if caught committing adultery under the old law.

Hi Gary, thanks for the question. To answer your question I have to correct what you say, Jesus said. First, Jesus did not say, "whosoever shall marry her that is DIVORCED committeth adultery." Jesus said, "whosoever shall marry her that is (put away) committeth adultery." The Greek word Jesus used was "Apolupo" this word simply means "put away" Many of the newer translations have this word as "Divorce" But the Greek word for divorce is Strong's Greek: 647. ἀποστάσιον (apostasion) And as you said,"They were put to death if caught committing adultery under the old law." Your right! And this is Key to understanding what Jesus was teaching the Jews and the Pharisees. Jesus said, Matt5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. So Jesus was talking about the woman who was only "put away" not divorced. The woman who was simply "put away" was still married and would commit adultery if she married another. But the women who was divorced under the Law was allowed to marry another. Deut. 24:1When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. 2And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
This women under the Law was allowed to have another marriage, after she had the divorce paper, even though she was the one (Guilty) of some unclean thing. The man was Required by Law to divorce the women he sent out of his house. This is VERY important for the woman because without this writing of divorce she could Not have another marriage. But the Jewish man could have another marriage even without the divorce paper. So the woman was a slave to the marriage and would be stone, as you say, if she married another. But the man was free to marry as many women as he could support under the Law without committing adultery. Again this is very important to understanding what Jesus was teaching about the Law of Moses. The Pharisees had perverted the many of the Laws of Moses and also tried to circumvent the way God had ordain to put asunder a marriage under the Law. The reasons where many why the man would not want to give the writing of divorce, hate, anger, revenge and money. Many times there was a dowery in the marriage from the brides family and if there was a divorce the man would have to give back that dowery to the woman. But is he kicked her out of the house, He kept the money, he married another and the woman was trapped in a marriage that she could never escape. This was happening in the time of Jesus and still to this day you can read about this happening to the Jewish women in Israel Now! Do a word search for, "Jewish women in chains" you will see why Jesus was so concerned about the way the man was treating the women. Jesus was protecting the woman under the Law of Moses and was telling the Pharisee they were not treating the women or the Law fairly. The Jews ask about the Law and what Moses and Jesus said, "Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives" The thing that was suffered was the man was allowed without a penalty to kick his wife out of the house and marry another woman. Of course the woman could not have another husband without that writing of divorce. But the man could go and marry another woman. Jesus told the Pharisees that because their hearts where hard they treated these women badly, and like the Bible says, "causes her to commit adultery" Now Jesus said because the man did not follow the Law fully, by giving the writing of divorce, he too would commit adultery because of his refusal to obey the Law. Not that Jesus change the Law! He did not, one jot or one tiddle. He told the Pharisees they were not obeying the Law because they  refused to give the writing of divorce and then send the woman away. Under Jewish Law the man was still allowed to have more than one wife. But he was required to maintain ALL of his wives and provide for them and their children. He was not allowed to mistreat those women.
There is much, much more I could say, ie why Herod was told to "Put away" that woman. Of course Herod was not required to divorce Philip's wife because they where not in a true marriage. That would be like me marring my sister. The judge would not tell me to divorce her. He would tell me that I did not have a true marriage, and to "put away" that woman, my sister because it is against the law to marry your sister. At least it is in Tennessee, for now anyway. And I have a lot to say about 1 Cor. 7, but I will leave it here and offer you a couple of interesting sites. 1)"total health .bz" and  2) "divorce to repent cults"
I hope I have helped and answered your questions. Keep an open mind and an open Bible. Study with prayer and seek only the truth. I pray I have give you some thoughts that will lead you to know what God will have you to do. I don't claim to know it all and if you learn or know something that will help me. Please share it with me, you will be my friend. Forgive the mistakes. It is late and I need sleep. I wanted to get this letter to you tonight.
God Bless, Dale

Churches Of Christ

Dale Ferguson

I will answer any questions about MDR, church history, approved worship, church organization, baptism or any other Bible question relating to Christian living or worship.

I have studied these Bible subjects with many other men in the pulpits and with long hours of personal study. Most of the men I studied with are of the older schools of preachers. And my answers tend more to be from Bible scripture rather than Bible schools.

I do not belong to any earthly organizations. I am a member of the Body of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I am a Christian only.

As everyone, I believe the truth is to be found in the Bible and not in a man made institution. A mans ability to teach the God's truth does not belong exclusively to man's institutions of higher learning.