Churches Of Christ/death

You quoted hebrews 9:27 that all men must die a physically death. When Christ returns what about those people who are alive.

Hi Garry,

I apologize for taking so long to respond. I don't know from what you pulled what I wrote and so it's difficult for me to know what the context was of what I did say. BUT, let's look at Hebrews 9:27.

Heb 9:27  And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

So I am wondering...are you confused by this verse because of what is said about those who are living when Christ returns? Please consider the words of Paul who explains what will happen to those who are still alive when Christ returns.

1 Cor.15:51-58

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP IN VICTORY." 55 "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING? O HADES, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY?" 56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

God's Word does not contradict itself so what it seems to me is...those who are alive when Christ returns will be changed...and in that change is still in a way, a death because that physical body cannot enter Heaven. So it is true that all men must die physically and all are appointed to die once physically.

I hope that I have helped you to better understand God's Word.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks