Churches Of Christ/About Titus 2:5

QUESTION: Dear Brother,

Titus 2:5 says that women should be keepers at home.

Does it mean that women are not allowed to go to work outside home.

In Christ,

This is the New King James version of Titus 2:5

5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

"Homemakers" is very similar to keepers at home, but this does not indicate that women are not allowed to go to work outside the home. The Greek word here indicates someone who cares for the house or is taking care of the home. The Strong's and Thayer's lexicons include the idea of someone who stays home or works at home....but the Greek word is not limiting this person to ONLY staying at home or only working at home. The duty of the woman is to be the main person to take care of the home and maintain it. Even if the wife has a job outside the home, she typically is the one who decorates the interior of the home and keeps it clean and does the majority of the home chores or at least gets the children to help once the children are old enough to help her.

This is not a command to stay home. It's just not worded in a way that shows this to be a requirement to stay home and not work outside the home. It's just saying the main responsibility of homemaker is hers and not the husband's.

I hope this answers your question.

In Christian love, Joe Norman

Thank you for a convincing answer.

Can you name a few women who worked outside the house.

I could think about Priscilla in acts 18 & Ruth - If I am right.

Could you help me in a few more.

In Christ,

Sorry brother, I didn't realize you had asked a follow up question. Yes, Priscilla is one example in Acts 18. Lydia in Acts 16:14 sold purple fabrics. In Matthew 24:41, Jesus mentions two women will be grinding at the mill and one will be taken and one will be left. There is also Phoebe in Romans 16:1 & 2. There are many more in the Old Testament, but I focused on the New Testament. I do hope this helps you and I apologize again for not seeing your follow-up question until now.

In Christian Love, Joe Norman

Churches Of Christ

Joe Norman

I can answer questions regarding acceptable worship, organization of the church, or any apsect of the Christian life. I am the son of a preacher and have studied the Bible from cover to cover since I was 12 years old. I am strong in my research skills and do not follow teachings of men. Many will label me as conservative and some might label me as liberal, but I just seek to be biblical. I understand proper exegesis and hermeneutics and apply them. My desire is to share my knowledge of God's Word with others. Please always keep in mind that none of us who are listed as experts here are divinely inspired and therefore it is possible to get incorrect answers from any one of us. Study the Scriptures and decide for yourself if what is taught is true.

I am the 4th generation in my family to be a faithful member of the church of Christ. I was raised by a preacher and have studied the Bible everyday since I was twelve. I am 45 yrs old now. I am not a "scholar", but I am very familiar with the scriptures.

member of the church of Christ, served as a Deacon for a few years at LakeShore church of Christ in Waco, Tx. I currently live in the North Dallas area and am still very active within the church of Christ teaching, leading Bible Studies, and songleading as well. I am also actively involved in online ministry. I hope to open my own webpage eventually.

School of hard knocks