Cigars/King Edward cigar box

HTSHEPPARD wrote at 2011-03-12 21:58:07
I have the same box with the exception the numbers of

6 5 A9 and 798740 on the back. Bottom line, is the box worth anything? If so, how much? Thanks.

Daddywestbluenose wrote at 2012-03-29 21:26:42
I have a full box of 50 king Edwards imperial cigars and it's still got the plastic on with$2.75 printed on it!

Mick wrote at 2012-04-09 22:39:13
I have a King Edward Imperial box with the printed number 1211G4 on the back. How much is it worth?

Shane kiernan wrote at 2012-11-14 11:16:36
I have an unopened box of 50 King Edward mild cigars.K.E imperial 50 CODE 9058 are they worth much for a collector?

Shane kiernan wrote at 2012-11-14 11:17:34

Earl Eggert wrote at 2015-08-17 19:01:15
King Edward Imperial boxes that have a price of 7 cents each date after 1969. The price changed to 7 cents each sometime between 1969 and 1970. Around 1959 or 1960 Swisher reintroduced the King Edward Imperial as a scaled down version of the larger Invincible.The old "Invincible" line became the new "Invincible Deluxe" in all gray boxes. Interestingly enough, King Edward was changed from Invincible in 1943 to Imperial, with the word "Imperial" being on top, and King Edward being on the bottom until 1949, when it was changed back to "King Edward Invincible." The Invincible line remained until about 1959.

Earl Eggert wrote at 2016-05-24 01:40:13
 Your King Edward box dates to the early 1970s. In 1969 or 1970 the price of King Edward Imperials changed from 6 cents to 7 cents each. By the middle 1970s the price rose again to 8 cents each.

Other good clues to how old it is, is if it has a "non tobacco ingredients" sentence on the front, which was first required in June of 1967. Also, King Edward boxes from the late 1960s and newer, will not have the "now with perfection binder" on the inside lid.

Contrary to the last posters information, King Edward was originally the Invincible and switched to Imperials in 1942. They then switched back to Invincible in 1949. King Edward remained the Invincible shape until 1958 when it became Invincible Deluxe in a gray box. Also in 1958 Swisher then re-introduced the King Edward "Imperial" which was a smaller size than the new Invincible Deluxe. I have been collecting cigar boxes for about 25 years. I specialize in boxes made between 1930 and 1980.

Tony Hyman

Anything related to the history of cigars, cigar boxes, cigar box making, cigar box collecting, cigar labels, cigar making, cigar tobacco growing, cigar factories, cigar brands, cigar wholesalers, cigar making by states, historic cigar-related prints and graphics, books and articles about cigars, meaning of words related to cigars... I specialize in United States, Canada, Cuba BEFORE 1960 ONLY.

I have been collecting cigar boxes and other cigar-related historical ephemera for 58 years and own between 30,000 and 40,000 individual items. I have been writing books, articles and Q&A columns on cigar and tobacco collectibles since the 1970's...In excess of 100 of them, and currently write two columns each issue for "Cigar Magazine." I am a major contributor to the last two editions of Voges' international TOBACCO ENCYCLOPEDIA. I currently have posted on the web free to the public with no advertising 193 "exhibits" (book chapters) with 5,000+ photos on cigar related topics, advice for collectors, dating boxes, tax history, Cuban History, packaging history, etc., with emphasis on U.S., Canada and Cuba. You are invited to visit: and browse.

Formerly TCCA and AAAA, none now

The Antique Trader Weekly (1977-2001), Collector, Collector's Showcase, Paper & Advertising Collector, American Collector, American Heritage, Cigar Aficionado, Cigar Magazine, Brandstand, TCCA Bulletin, Brandstand, Cigar Band, Label & Seal Society's Newsletter, Maine Antique Digest, Vogel's international Encyclopedia of Tobacco, Toy Collector, Military Collector, Chapter in Davidson's Art of the Cigar Label, Chapter on Made in Bond Stamps in Springer's Handbook of North American Cinderella Stamps (10th ed), Antique Trader's Price Guide, 10 editions of Where To Sell It, and a lot more. Three years writing features on antiques and collectibles for CBS-TV Network Morning Show and on-camera delivery more than 100 of them. 8 years host Trash or Treasure syndicated 152 stations (5 hours/week live answering questions on antiques and collectibles).

BA "with great distinction" and "President's Scholar" in History/Political Science MS in Sociological Theory and Research EdD in Information Management Trained Peace Corps volunteers how to analyze and fit in to foreign cultures. California Life-Teaching credential New York State life Administration credential

In addition to the above: All Navy Fleet Pacific Handball Champion (undefeated) All Navy Fleet Pacific Badminton 2nd place National Science Foundation Scholarship for Masters (1 of 20 nationwide) NDEA Scholarship for doctorate Bagley Scholarship, Columbia University, for doctorate Metropolitan Film Instructor's Association Grant for Doctoral Research "Best Teacher on campus" (of 200) (2 years, Watsonville HS)