Cigars/Untended cigars/Humidor

Question
I have recently been given a humidor with a fairly large quantity of cigars inside. They belonged to my brother, who sadly passed away 2 years ago. I have only been given it in the past few days so it has been left untended for a long time.

I know very little about cigars or humidors, smoking very infrequently on special occasions so I am a little lost but to my fairly untrained eye the cigars look bad. The feel very hard, some the wrappIng had cracked/peeled when I touch them.

Do you think there would be any way of saving these cigars?

Thanks
Terry

Answer
Terry,

The cigars can be re-humidified, it just takes some time. The ones that are cracked and unraveling my not be salvageable, but I'd suggest you re-humidify them all and then see what is smokeable once they are done.

The humidor should have some type of humidifying device in it - typically something that attaches to the inside of the lid. Fill this unit with distilled water and make sure no excess is dripping out of it before you put it back in the humidor. The replace and let the cigars sit. After a week or so, remove the humidifier and refill. You might also gently rearrange the cigars so the the ones on the bottom are now on top which will help all of the cigars re-humidify evenly. Repeat this process as many times as necessary until the cigars become slightly soft and can be gently squeezed without too much resistance. This could take 4-6 weeks or longer, but is worth the effort.

One thing that will help get the process started is to remove all of the cigars and wipe out the humidifier with a damp rag. This will allow the wood to absorb some moisture immediately instead of drawing it from the humidifier.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Cigars

Bill Finck Jr.