Cigars/Did I permanently ruin my Humidor?

Question

I used tap water instead of distilled water to season a humidor I purchased. Is the humidor forever ruined? Or can I let it sit out for an extended period of time and let all of the tap water evaporate?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Chris,

Your humidor should be fine.  Because you only used tap water for a very short time, your humidor is not ruined.  Using tap water in your humidor for a prolonged amount of time will not permanently ruin your humidor but can cause mineral trace to develop (a white chalky powder/residue) and this can be a pain to clean.

Switching to 100% distilled water immediately will prevent things from getting worse.  Be sure to only use 100% distilled water for your humidification device(s) and future humidor seasonings.  Do not use boiled, tap or commercially bottled drinking water as they contain minerals like magnesium, iron, calcium and fluoride that will contribute to the development of mineral trace.

If you have extremely hard tap water, your humidor may develop mineral trace over the interior wood and on your humidification device/hygrometer.  If this happens, simply wipe your humidification device and hygrometer down with a lint-free cloth soaked with distilled water. If mineral trace appears on your humidor interior wood, let your humidor thoroughly dry out and clean up the mineral trace with a vacuum and a soft-bristle attachment (it's important to use a soft bristle attachment so you don't scratch up the wood interior.)  After thoroughly vacuuming your humidor, re-season it with distilled water.

I hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee