Cigars/Suspect H Upmann Monarchs

Question
QUESTION: I have what appears to be a genuine box of these cigars.  The date code on the bottom of the box is BAM Nov 06.  The bands are brown.  Assuming these were shipped in Nov. 2006, is brown the correct band color?

thanks,
jas

ANSWER: Hi Jerry,

Yes, The Upmann Monarchs did have the brown bands as late as November 2006.  Although the new red and gold band was introduced that year, it was a transitional year and there were still Upmann monarchs (and other Upmann cigars) being packaged in the older brown band late into 2006.  

James

QUESTION: Thank you, James.

Were they still using Nivel Acuso to encode dates in 2006?  And I thought H. Upmann was produced at the Jose Marti factory.  I don't recognize "BAM"

Answer
Hi Jerry,

No, the NIVELACUSO date system was discontinued in 1998.  Your box is marked "NOV06" (with the current date system) so it was made in November 2006.  The BAM designation represents the factory and is part of the current factory code system (started in 2003).  "BAM" is actually not the factory name's initials but instead, is a random three letter code generated by Habanos.

Unfortunately, because the factory designation codes are changed very often, it's impossible for the customers to keep track of all the codes.  Only Habanos employees involved with the encoding process actually has a database of every single code designation.

I hope this helps.  As always, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ust ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee