Cigars/Vintage

Ole wrote at 2012-12-03 15:02:05
Good answer! I would like to add / discuss:

To find dark, oily wrappers today is really hard in my experience.

I think the wine comparison is relevant: Heavy wines (and full body strong cigars) you may keep for years,

while light wine (and light cigars) have limited potential for storage.

Quote

"In addition, different batches of tobacco (harvested from different farms or times) may be used during production so some cigars may contain great tobacco from a good crop month or farm while others may have tobacco from an average crop month/farm."

The quality control of Davidoff and Dominican companies is superior. I have no belief that communistic quality control includes a specification for

i.e. Montecristo #4 with details like

-the wrapper is the lower leaf provided by plantation X

-the second leaf is coming from a specific part of the tobacco plant, grown at plantation Y

-the filler is grown at plantation Z

In general, I think they collect a set of leaves from a group of plantations, use the  volado, seco and ligero leaves suitable for a range of cigars

and at the end they decide which cigar band to use on the bundle of 25 cigars with the same colour. This is a hypothesis up for discussion from my part.

However, if I am wrong,

-how come it is not possible to do a blind test on a majority of Cuban cigars today? As opposed to the 90's there is no specific identity of the different cigars

-how is it possible to make 10 million Montecristo #4 based on the same "recipe"? Simply, there are not enough identical leaves to make so many identical cigars...

Cigars

James Yee