Cigars/Desktop Humidor Temp Control

Mr. Finck,

I own two 100 count and one 500 count desktop humidors.  I have successfully been able to regulate the humidity level in the units, however I live in Yuma, AZ where it is much too hot for proper cigar storage in the summer and a little too cold in the winter.  My current routine is storing the units in a dark cool closet during the summer and in an open room that stays a little warmer during the winter months.  I was wondering if you could recommend any reasonably priced ($25-$75) after-market temperature regulation products that I could add to my humidors.  I don't mind making minor modifications to the humidors to add more equipment but I would prefer more of a "plug and play" option.  Can you provide some guidance?  Thanks and have a great day.

I understand your issue and have had several questions related to this topic. Unfortunately, I don't know of any after market temperature regulation products that can be added to existing humidors. There are electronically controlled humidors that have refrigeration units in them, but these humidors sell for $2k and up. I wish someone would come up with an economical alternative, but I don't think there is any easy way to cool or heat a humidor. I'm sorry I can't offer a good solution, I think what you are doing now is your best option.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Bill Finck Jr.

I'm a fourth generation cigar maker and have spent 25+ years operating our factory as well as a mail order cigar company. I belong to cigar manufacturers associations as well as retail cigar associations so I'm usually up to date with current events relating to cigars. I've smoked the majority of brands on the market and would be happy to share my opinions of them with you. Since I live in the U.S. I have very little experience with Cuban cigars, but other than that I know a least a little bit about almost every brand of cigars on the market.

In addition to growing up in and now managing our cigar factory for 25+ years, I've spent time in many factories in Honduras, Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. BR>
Cigar Association of America, Retail Tobacco Dealers Association

BS Texas A&M University