Cigars/Humidity too low

Question
Hi James,
My problem is I cant seem to get my humidor up to 68%. The temperature in the house is around 66 and the temp on the hydrometer reads 65 however my RH is hovering around 60-61-62.
I have a China made Humidor given to me as a gift. It is a 100 count, I have seasoned it and am using 4-75% Boveda packs. I live in NJ and lately its been very cold and my heat has been kicking on quite a bit. The temperature in the last few days has been around 10-15F (very cold). Could the cold dry air and the increased heat usage be effecting my humidor?

Answer
Hi Mike,

This is a common problem during extremely cold winters.  The cold, dry air and heat can indeed wick away humidity from your humidor.  I'm from Toronto (not far from NJ) and I'm also experiencing the same cold snap that you're experiencing and yes, the weather has drastically caused the humidity in my humidors to dip.  In extremely cold winters, I also find my humidifiers depleting their reservoirs twice as fast.  

Moving your humidor to a less hot and dry room should allow your humidor to recover.  Also, during extremely frigid winters, be sure to check your boveda packs more frequently to ensure that they're not getting too dry.

I hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee