Cigars/How long can I store cigars?

Question
Hi James,

About 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to go to Cuba a number of times.  I was interested in the cigars, and eventually even arranged for a nice Casa del Habano shop in (on 16th St) to maintain a locker for me to reserve cigars that I wanted and which they didn't have in stock when I was there.  I ended up with some 60 boxes of cigars (mostly Cohibas, Bolivars, La Hoyos and Punch) which I now have at home, mostly stored in cedar-lined igloo coolers, and maintained at 70/70.  Since I smoke maybe a cigar a month, I obviously have a large stash.  My question is, what is going to happen to the quality of these smokes over time?  They are already 15 years old. Are cigars like wine, in that they reach a peak age and then slowly decline? Thanks for your attention.

Answer
Hello W. Gallagher,

When aging cigars long-term, cigars will become richer in flavours for the first several years and then eventually reach a peak and begin to mellow out.  Aged cigars usually develop richer flavours at the 2-3 year mark and peak at 8-10 years.  After that, they will become much more milder in terms of flavour and strength.  They will still be quite flavourful but the flavours will not be as rich as before.  This is caused by the natural oils naturally extruded from the cigar (plume/bloom) as it ages.  As a cigar ages, the natural oils in the tobacco amalgamates and creates a richer flavour.  Over time however, when these oils are naturally secreted from the cigar and becomes plume/bloom, the filler tobacco becomes more mellow in flavour.

Since your collection is about 15 years old now, I would say that the cigars are much milder than their original flavour.  They can still be quite flavourful but I would say the full-bodied cigars are now medium-bodied, your medium-bodied cigars are now mild-bodied and so on.  

If the humidor/storage conditions are ideal (70/70), you can store your cigars indefinitely but after they reach their aging peak, the longer a cigar ages, the milder in flavour it becomes.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee