Cigars/Storing cigars without humidor

Question
Hello. I am fairly new to cigars and haven't got round to buying a humidor yet. I have bought a digital hygrometer and I'm using a tupperware to keep my cigars in. the problem I'm  finding that if I keep the humidity at the upper 60s the cigars feel too moist. Is this because the plastic doesn't absorb any of the moisture?
Is there a better way of storing them until I purchase a humidor?
Thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Graeme,

Because tupperware containers are almost 100% airtight, they can't regulate humidity properly and trapped moisture buildup is quite common.  To correct this, you should leave the lid closed but not sealed shut. By letting the lid rest loose on the container, excess humidity is able to naturally escape through the small gaps.  You could also line your container with Spanish cedar as this will also help absorb and regulate the humidity.  

As an alternative, you may want to consider storing your cigars in "humi-pouches". Humi-pouches are plastic, Ziploc-style bags with a humidified sponge built into the membrane of the plastic. They're designed for short-term cigar storage and travel and will properly humidify your cigars for up to 3 months.  After 3 months, you will need to either replace the pouches or relocate your cigars to a permanent humidor.  Humi-pouches are available in a variety of sizes and can accomodate everything from a few single cigars, to whole boxes.  They are available at most cigar stores and tobacconists.  

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee