Cigars/Trinidad Fundadores

Question
Cigar Boxes
Cigar Boxes  
Hi James,

A Canadian friend of mine travels to Santiago several times a year. On his last trip I asked him to buy a couple of boxes for my brother in law and I.  My brother in law got a box of Trinidad Fundadores that he is convinced are not real.  He is basing this opinion on the box they arrived in.  He has a box from a previous purchase that was made in another country (not Cuba) several years ago.  My Canadian friend said that he bought the cigars from a factory in Santiago.  I've attached a picture with the hope you could bring some clarity to the issue.  Thanks much!

Answer
Hi Tom,

The box shown at the top of your photo is the older box version (discontinued in 2003) while the box shown at the bottom of your photo is the current design.  Having examined your photo, I must say that the top box in your photo does appear questionable. That box design was discontinued in 2003 yet the box has the newer, glossy warranty label which was introduced in 2009-2010. Pre-2009 boxes do have the newer label applied over the older warranty label but I've never see a box as early as 2003 with the new label.  Does the warranty label have a serial number and barcode? (I can't see it because the label appears to be tucked under the lid.) If the label does have a serial number, check the number at Habanos' official website to see if the number is genuine.  If the label doesn't have a serial number, I would be suspicious.  The words "La Habana, Cuba" also seems off. It looks a bit small and too bold.  I also can't tell from the photo but the clasp on the box should have a black enamel motif like the clasp on a varnished Cohiba Esplendido box.  The clasp on the box in your photo appears to be a plain silver-colored button which is incorrect.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee