Cigars/Half smoked cigar in humidor

Question
Hi James,

Just a quick follow up question on the advice you gave about how to restore a humidor due to an ashy smell caused by putting a half smoked cigar inside. My humidor smells ashy and I smoked one of the cigars which tasted ashy as well.

I do not have an ozone purifier but do have baking soda. Should I put the baking soda into an open container and leave it inside the humidor with the humidor shut or open?

Answer
Hi Joe,

Baking soda can work but it may take anywhere between several days to a few weeks for the baking soda to fully remove the smell of smoke.  Baking soda may also compromise the natural scent of your other cigars so if you use this method, it's best that you temporarily remove all your cigars from your humidor until the smoke smell completely disappears. (Also, keep the lid shut with the baking soda inside and be careful not to spill any baking soda inside your humidor.)

As an alternative,  you can also use very fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the entire cedar interior.  Sanding the interior will remove the smelly, top layer of cedar and bring out the naturally pungent cedar aroma again.  If you do decide to sand the interior,  be sure to thoroughly vacuum up all the residual cedar powder.

An ozone air purifier (or any air purifier capable of completely removing smoke odours) is still your best choice for completely removing the smoke smell in your humidor.  

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James  

Cigars

James Yee