Cigars/Humidor

Question
I have a problem. A few months ago, I had an ant problem. I used peppermint oil in a spray bottle mixed with water to get rid of them. That worked but, when I opened my humidor that's on the floor against the wall I noticed a somewhat strong peppermint scent. I picked up some cigars and drew from the foot and I can taste the oil. When smoked I don't taste it. I took all my cigars out the humidor and put them in Tupperware. On one side of the humidor I can see the wood is stained and when I go in close to smell, all I can smell is peppermint. It's stronger than the cedar. I currently have my humidor open with a bowl of baking soda. All the cigars from the humidor taste like peppermint when I draw from the foot. What else can I do?

Answer
Hi Anthony,

If you have access to an ozone-based air purifier, let it run next to your humidor for 1-2 days and it should remove the peppermint smell.  As you mentioned, a bowl of baking soda will also help absorb the aroma. Over time, your cigars will eventually lose the peppermint scent so it's important that you remove the peppermint oil from your humidor first. If the humidor is permanently stained by the oil, it's best to have your humidor surface refinished. This is really the only surefire way to removing a pungent oil stain. The humidor exterior should be stripped, lightly sanded and then refinished.  If the oil has stained the humidor interior, you can either lightly sand the oil stain with a fine grade sandpaper (be sure to thoroughly vacuum the humidor afterwards) or replace the Spanish cedar panels altogether.

I hope this helps.  If you have anymore questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James  

Cigars

James Yee